Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
i started reading about WotR after few people recommanded it for two players game. i read the first eight pages which were mainly review aqnd i got the immpresion that the game is a little too complex and akward (i hope this is the right word to use englsih is second lanuage soblue). i wanted to ask what you think? it's look awesome but i don;t want game which you need all the time to chekc the rule book, and your are limited to do only this and this. i might got the wrong impression because t was noly general review but still...

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, War of the Ring is a very good game.
Yes, you will have to check the rule book frequently.
Yes, it will feel awkward.
Yes, it will seem complex.
Yes, you are limited in actions, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

The more time spent with the game, of course, the easier it will become.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring is an awesome game! The rules may seem a little complex at first, but I recommend that you read through them a few times to get a feel for them before playing. I don't think you'll be referring back to the rules all that frequently after you've played the game a few times. The dice- and card-driven nature of the game makes it extremely replayable and allows for different types of strategies. I highly recommend it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that War of the Ring is a wonderful game. The limited actions are fantastic - that's much of the fun of the game - deciding which of your first priorities recieves attention at any given time.

It is certainly more complex than any euro game, but less so than any classic wargame. I'd call it a good bridge between the two, and well worth the investment of time to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
[When asked if he would give a speech, Jinx said,] "Me, I'm a doer, not a talker." And when they asked him what it was he did, he said, "Sleep, mostly." -Walter R. Brooks
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a very long game. (We still average over three hours.) You will need to refer to the rulebook a fair bit your first couple of games. If either of these things bother you, you won't like it. If they don't bother you, it's a superb game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
thanks all, i have one more question though, i read some more on the game and i'm about at page 11 on the rules book now meeple . now i'm starting to worry this game in like A@A. i'm asking all this question becuase half of the game i have i have played once and i don't want this game to add to this soblue . i hate A@A it one of the worse game i played so i wanted to ask if this game similiar? i can see it is diffrent in a lot of ways but i mean the way you fight?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't tell exactly what you don't like about A&A, but here goes:

Combat is a much smaller part of WotR than of A&A. It's also a lot simpler. For the most part, both sides roll up to 5 dice, reroll misses once, and try to roll 5s and 6s. The interesting part of WotR combat is the cards you play in combat, which do many different things (but are not complicated - don't worry about that).

The similarity between the two combat systems is that there is noticable luck of the dice. If you like deterministic games like chess as opposed to probabalistic games, then you probably won't like WotR. (This is not to say that the winner in WotR is determined by luck. There is much more skill involved.)

Also, I'll point out that on the WotR game page, you can see that people who rate WotR highly also tend to rate A&A highly. I am not one of those; I love WotR but A&A does not appeal to me. But I would nevertheless take that as a warning sign if I were you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
I can't tell exactly what you don't like about A&A, but here goes:

Combat is a much smaller part of WotR than of A&A. It's also a lot simpler. For the most part, both sides roll up to 5 dice, reroll misses once, and try to roll 5s and 6s. The interesting part of WotR combat is the cards you play in combat, which do many different things (but are not complicated - don't worry about that).

The similarity between the two combat systems is that there is noticable luck of the dice. If you like deterministic games like chess as opposed to probabalistic games, then you probably won't like WotR. (This is not to say that the winner in WotR is determined by luck. There is much more skill involved.)

Also, I'll point out that on the WotR game page, you can see that people who rate WotR highly also tend to rate A&A highly. I am not one of those; I love WotR but A&A does not appeal to me. But I would nevertheless take that as a warning sign if I were you.

well what i mostly haed in A@A is that there were a lot of diffrent soldiers and that you bought them. i have somthing againts simply wanting your army bigger with better troops but i'm reliefed now. i can see it's isn't only about having biggest army or with best troops becuase there is actully only one fighting troops (ok three but elite nd leaders onlt help the regular). thanks all i made my mind, going to get thqat game no matter what laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Alessi
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
While A&A has some similarities to War of the Ring, what I think sets it apart in terms of learning it is that WotR has only three types of units to be recruited: regulars, which can be recruited two at a time, but in different regions, elites, which function the same as regulars except that they have two "hit points" and can only be recruited one at a time, and leaders, which have no combat value, but allow rerolls, and are required for some combat cards.

Compare this with A&A, in which there are many different units, with different attack and defense values, some of which are only useful in one situation, and all with different costs. Getting a handle on what types of units to recruit where and when can take some doing, and deciding wrong can be disaster in a long game.

It can seem intimadating from the rules, since they're not terribly well written or organized, but once you've played a game or two with a willing opponent (who's also read the rules), things smooth out quite a bit. Highly recommended game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
thanks all .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogers
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Ditto to what's already been said.

While the games I've played have been long, the theme allowed myself and my opponent to completely immerse ourselves (when we weren't checking the rule book) and lose track of time.

When I want to play something that feels epic this is what I have in my collection to meet that need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.