Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
May a player use a column belonging to another player on their turn, or are they restricted to only playing columns in their color?

Seems like it should be an obvious yes or no, but I don't see anything in the translated rules that really answers this question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules we play with (which I think came from Aldie's translation) is that each player may only move his own color pieces. The only time you move someone else's piece is if they claim they can't move anymore and you disagree.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Matt, this is the way that I've been playing as well, but last week I had a moment when I just wasn't sure. I think it will be interesting to try allowing players to move any color piece as a variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mackey
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules as written in the University Games Release give another variant:

Any player may move any players column and receive points. If you place one of your own columns, you get a bonus point.

Small Cylinders 1 point
Hexes 2 points
Big Cyclinders 3 points.

This variation requires a paper and pencil since the top board is not self documenting.

Another side effect of this scoring is that it makes removal of opponents cylinders less vindictive. A person still wants to preserve their own pieces for the bonus ability. I believe it also tends to promote higher towers than the rules requiring movement of strictly your own pieces. To me higher towers is more suspenseful and leads to a greater game experience. But its only my own 2 cents.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently, University Games has changed their rules to reflect the original version. At least, my copy says the builder removes one of his/her colored columns. It doesn't mention moving any color you want to move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.