1 Posts

SQUAR3» Forums » News

Subject: SQUAR3 - the revised Print&Play version is live rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Groll
flag msg tools
Hello everybody,
the playtest for the first print&play version of SQUAR3 is over and I have compiled a new set of rules and tiles with most of the suggestions and ideas from this playtest.
The result is a more elegant and more sophisticated game design that I am happy to share with all of you.

What do you need to play?
First of all, download the rules here and read through them. The pagecount has been increased considerably, but this is only due to the many illustrations and examples included in the rules. I hope that they cover all situations and are easiy to understand. If not, please post your rules questions in the rules forum here on BGG and I will clarify it as soon as possible.

The second file you will need is the tileset you can download here. While the first version had just one page f tiles, this new version comes with 3 pages. But the number of tiles did not increase (well, there is one tile more - the new start tile which will help you set up the board). Instead the new tiles are larger than the old ones. The feedback had suggested that players would like to see icons instead of text and those icons needed some more space to be easily discernable on a distance. If however you should prefer your tiles to be smaller (to make the game ultraportable (playing on an airplane tray for instance)), just print two pages on on, this works well enough.
As stacking the tiles is a big part of the gameplay, I would advice you to mount your printed tiles on pretty thick cardstock. Otherwise handling the tiles could get fiddely.
The tiles document also contains a quick reference card with a short description for all the different icons on the tiles. I just mounted it on thick cardstock as well, but laminating it would be fine, too.

In addition to these two documents you will need three player pieces per player. I am using small wooden cubes (as they fit the abstract theme of the game very well - you know with cubes being squares in three dimensions), but meeples, pawns, glass beads, coppers or anything you have at hand and that can be placed on top of the tiles will work fine.

If you enjoy this new version of the game - please feel free to recommend, rate and review it here on BGG - and keep your eyes open for a (visually) enhanced version that I will publish through the Gamecrafter. This version will have a theme, a different name and therefore a new entry on BGG, but I will post the news here as well as soon as I have something substantial to show to you.

Until then, enjoy this game.

All the best,
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.