Citadels» Forums » Rules

Subject: Character powers in 2 player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffiths
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I'm a wee bit unclear on the extent of a character's power in a two player game...

Take this for example: Player 1 has the Bishop and the Merchant. The Bishop is called and has his turn. During his turn he recieves some gold for having religious districts. Next up is the Merchant. Now he decides to build a religous district. I'm assuming since it's now the Merchant's turn, and not the Bishop's, the Bishop (even though is being played by Player 1 in this round still) does NOT gain gold for this newly built religious district. Am I correct?

There's other examples, take the King and Warlord, but hopefully that example above makes sense...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You take 2 seperate turns, so you are correct - the blue district built by the merchant will NOT give any sort of bonus to the Bishop.

The biggest time this comes into play is when you use the expansion character who pays you back for buildings you built this turn. I always think I can use that in conjunction with the Architect to build 3 districts for free, but that's clearly not the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Nuñez Jimenez
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about this, what happens then if after that the other player plays Warlord and he try to destroy one of your districts?
It will be protected by the bishop or as being separated turns it will be destroyed anyway.
I think it's a contradiction, if you get protected by the bishop after playing the merchant i think that the merchant will get bonus from blue districts don't you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bishop protects a player for a round, not just during his turn. Effectively, this allows you to have the Bishop's protection while choosing some other role. As much as I like the Bishop, he is a bit under-powered. Happily, in a two- or three-player game, his extended protection makes him just about right. If you are choosing the Warlord in a two-player game, you may want to discard the Bishop at the same time.

All other accounts are correct: The Bishop cannot gain gold from blue districts during the Merchant's turn; the Magician cannot trade cards on the King's turn; and the Architect cannot build more than one district on the Warlord's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.