Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Spear
United States
Marysville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, before reading further take into account that this is my first and very probably going to be the last experience I have with this game.

This game was given to me as a Christmas present from one of my best friends at the beginning of what I knew would be a very crowded game night with the 'Pants Macabre' expansion.

I really appreciated the thought of this present, as I do with all presents and I genuinely looked forward to playing this game as I do almost every game(the exceptions being Pit and any Catan game).

Unfortunately for all involved, there were many gamers harmed during the inception of this gaming session.

Without further delay..

It was a dark and stormy night... Well, it was dark at least. I mean, it was night after all. I knew in advance that tonight's game session was going to have more than the average number of participants due to everyone's acceptance of my weekly invitation to game at my house.

I decided that since my friend had given me the game as a late Christmas present that it would be great idea to play this game since I thought that everyone had played a Munchkin game before.

Man, was I wrong. My first mistake was assuming that everyone I had over was experienced with Munchkin. My second mistake was trying to play this game (with expansion) with 8 people. And finally, my third mistake was playing this game without being under the influence of enough alcohol.

The game began slowly, as any newly played game is expected to. Unfortunately for all involved, it proceeded slowly around as 8 people took the opportunity to read all of the cards they had been dealt.

Once we had gotten this far, we had to consult the rules manual and verify when certain card types could be played. Honestly, none of us had played the Munchkin series enough to have committed 100% of the series to memory.

After clarifying a single rule, we continued on with the next player's turn...fifteen minutes later. This is how long it takes to get 8 people's attention onto one rule. Next, we embarked on the arduous task of each player taking their turn in sequence.

Fast forward one hour...

Three of eight players had completed their third turn and the game continued to the fourth player, who incidentally was the friend who had gotten me this game.

Unfortunately, this friend had alread died twice by now through purely accidental means.

At this point all players began to exhibit signs of boredom and started to slip into different states of lethargy. Those of us who still retained most of our faculties took it upon ourselves to move the game along as quickly as possible by finishing our turns quickly and 'suggesting' to other players the best possible moves to take that would end the game immediately.

Slow forward two more hours...

5 of the 8 participating players had slipped into a coma that could only be cured by finishing the game. And unfortunately, since our group is incapable of just 'giving up' in a game to make it end we trudged on for another millenia or two until we completed by handing the victory to the first eligible player.

I suggest that anyone who could potentially play this game after reading this that you first apply lighter fluid and flame to cards prior to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shepherd
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soooo... you tried to play a game you weren't familiar with.

With too many people.

Who didn't know the rules.

And neither did you.

And you didn't read them first.

And the players, I assume from the "it took 15 minutes to explain one rule to all eight players", had ADD.

And you blame ...

...the game.

Dude, I think you seriously need to re-think the problem here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryl Dunning

Arizona
msg tools
LOL, I'm with The Shepherd here. *sigh* Munchkin has it's place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Boddy
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, this review does not sound like a fair shake for this game. Did the OP ever play this game again, and did a replay change their opinion about this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.