1 Posts

Lincoln's War» Forums » General

Subject: I’m under WHO? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Poniske
United States
flag msg tools

Command structure was something that I settled on in the early stages of the LINCOLN’S WAR design. I determined rank to be 1-3 stars, that all generals (except the GIC) enter the game at a one star rank, that only those generals with political connection would have the capability of reaching three star rank and that only those generals within the inner administrative circles would have the opportunity to obtain GIC rank. Since there are many documented instances of generals bucking the existing power structure I wanted to include a mechanic that would frustrate the player from doing what I’ve seen in so many games, that is put the best general in charge in all instances. The movement and subordinate rules cover this nicely. Since generals control their own hexes, anyone of equal or lesser rank moving into a general’s space becomes their subordinate. This means that it is up to the player to carefully coordinate his movements so that he does not end up with Polk in charge of Hood instead of Hood in charge of Polk, or activation becomes a nightmare. The following rules are drawn from Michel’s most recent version of the rules.

(11.2) Subordinates
All generals below the CO are considered his subordinates for as long as they remain beneath him.
Generals are ranked by the number of stars they possess; the more stars, the higher the general’s rank
and the larger his intrinsic command. One-star equals approximately two brigades (4-5,000 men);
two-stars equal four brigades; three-stars equal six brigades. Note: Star ranking is abstract and is as
much a matter of political influence as military hierarchy.

(11.2.1) Subordinate Infantry
Any general who moves into a hex occupied by a CO of equal or greater rank becomes a subordinate
of that commander. If however a general enters the hex of a general or CO of lesser rank, the
moving general becomes the CO and the stationary general(s) his subordinate.
Infantry subordinates may only be detached when their CO is activated. When a subordinate is
promoted so that he outranks the current CO, he automatically assumes command without paying
PC to appoint him CO.

(11.2.2) Subordinate Cavalry
Cavalry generals (13.0) may not command other generals, but subordinate cavalry generals may be
activated separately within a force. Since they can never be COs, cavalry generals cannot attach other
generals to themselves, not even other cavalry generals. They may move through a hex occupied by a
CO of equal or higher rank without having to stop and become a subordinate of the hex’s
commander but a cavalry unit can be absorbed into a CO’s force when the CO passes over or lands
in the cavalry unit’s hex; note that this is not mandatory as is the case with infantry. Note that
cavalry generals' stars do not count for stacking limits.

EXAMPLE: Wheeler is part of Polk’s force. Because Wheeler is cavalry, he can be activated with a 1 activationcard instead of the 3 activation card necessary to activate the force commander, Polk. When 1 star Wheeler moves into2 star Bragg’s hex, he is not required to stop and become Bragg’s subordinate as an infantry general would. Being cavalry, he can ignore rank issues and continue on into another hex.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.