Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Van den Berghe
Belgium
Blanden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you please list some reasons for declaring the fellowship.

In the last few games I played, I just stayed in Rivendel till progression counter was at 10.

Thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Merriman
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The only reasons I can think of to declare the fellowship is for political/activation reasons and to heal corruption. Thats it. And typically I never declare them, I run them through the mountains and down past Dol Goldur(?) to Mordor. If you got them all the way to Mordor without being revealed by the Dark player, he must not be doing his job right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually three reasons.

As previously stated, you can activate nations with a declaration, and you can heal corruption if you declare in the right place. The third reason is to avoid taking an extra tile for being revealed going into, out of or through a Shadow stronghold. For example, if you declare in Dimrill Dale, you will not have to worry about taking an extra tile for going through Moria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It also pays to declare before Moria gets sealed off so you get a quicker route to Mt. Doom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For all the reasons stated above, and also if you are in (for example) Eastemnet and there is a nazgul there, and you have a movement to spend, you might declare in W. Emyn Muil (?) or Druadan Forest to get out from under the nazgul.

Not being revealed all game is a very rare occurrence. Most games you will be forced to reveal out in the open somewhere, at which point declaring loses its serious drawback (you have to leave the safety of Rivendell).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve White
United Kingdom
Malton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
dkeisen wrote:
It also pays to declare before Moria gets sealed off so you get a quicker route to Mt. Doom.

I'm not familiar with the idea of Moria getting sealed off. I'll generally declare once through Moria (even in the open), to avoid drawing the extra tile if revealed as noted above. But I don't know of anything which seals Moria off.

I've never seen a game where the FSP has managed to get all the way to Mordor without being revealed once - had the SP fallen asleep?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osmo Kajasto
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Steve White wrote:
I'm not familiar with the idea of Moria getting sealed off. I'll generally declare once through Moria (even in the open), to avoid drawing the extra tile if revealed as noted above. But I don't know of anything which seals Moria off.

I think the sealing off could refer to the card named Balrog of Moria.

Here's the text:
"Play this card on the table in front of you.

Discard 'Balrog of Moria' to draw a Hunt Tile if the Fellowship has moved through, moving from, or is moving into Moria while being declared or revealed. (This is in addition to the one Hunt Tile that is drawn due to a Shadow Stronghold). If the tile shows an Eye, discard it without effect, otherwise proceed to damage the Fellowhsip as if the tile were drawn after a succesful Hunt."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Taylor
United States
Berryville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Just Another Washed Up Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually it's to heal, or because the fellowship has been discovered in the open/hunt tile. Also I like to reveal when I have the exact number of spaces to a stronghold (typically Rivendell), since an involuntary reveal means you can't stop there.
Revealing doesn't cost an action per se, so it's not a huge decision for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are we there yet?
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
stove wrote:
Usually it's to heal, or because the fellowship has been discovered in the open/hunt tile. Also I like to reveal when I have the exact number of spaces to a stronghold (typically Rivendell), since an involuntary reveal means you can't stop there.
Revealing doesn't cost an action per se, so it's not a huge decision for me.

But all of the Settlements that the Fellowship can heal at are 1 space away from the optimal path, so it does cost an action to heal.

I mostly declare myself after I've passed through Moria, so a forced reveal doesn't make me draw a second tile for going through Moria. Also remember that the tile drawn by the Balrog card can force a reveal, which could both 1) make you draw the extra tile for being revealed when your path goes through Moria, and 2) prevents you from declaring in a Settlement.

In addition, if you are already outside of a Settlement, and have armies / Nazgul in the Fellowship's area, it is a good idea to declare to force the Shadow to move those figures to your new spot.

The game encourages the Fellowship to declare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Palmer
United States
Windsor mill
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
I've never seen a game where the FSP has managed to get all the way to Mordor without being revealed once - had the SP fallen asleep?

WotR is a dice game. It is possible, even with a competant SP, for the FSP to never get revealed. A combination of poor hunt dice and hunt tile draws make it very possible, albeit uncommon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.