Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ok, the German onslaught into Belgium and France has slowed down. How do I use my Russian troops most effectively?
Do I wait for the CP to attack me and then react to it? Should I launch a preemptive strike? If so, where? Perhaps an encircling manuever in the north? Or should I go after the weak one, Austria-Hungary? Won't he just head for the mountains and lock me out?
Should I use the Serbs for something other than just sitting there?Should I perhaps wait for Romania to enter and then launch an attack from the south? A Romanian army facing north will get into some serious trouble when the Bulgarians arrive...

To summon up: How do I use the Russians?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leslie King
United Kingdom
Abbotts Ann
Hants
flag msg tools
Use Russia to force the CP side to burn Ops to react. Attack the AH forces - they may retreat to the mountains but if they do that they can't be doing anything else.

The Serbs - if you get them entrenched in Belgrade they can be very difficult to remove. Another tactic is to retreat them to Skopje and entrench them there. They can then join with other Allied forces after the play of Salonika.

The Romanians - I try to avoid playing them unless I'm doing very well in the East as they are a relatively easy 2 VPs for the CP player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Use Russia to put pressure on AH. This tends to draw off German armies away from France/Belgium and keeps CP pressure on Italy (once Italy joins) from becoming overwealming.

I concur with Leslie in that Rumania generally should not be activated until you have to. Once activated, however, Rumania does open up some alternate supply lines to the Russians in the southern Caucasus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to base my Russian tactics on the CP initiative:
If CP attacks Russia, that means he has to take AH-armies with him into Russia. Keep attacking AH, cause they build back slowly.
On the other hand: if CP goes all out on the Western Front, I'll use the Russians to attack the German armies. Not only does he have to spent activ.point to react, he'll also have a hard time building back all his losses.

This, by the way, is a tactic which works for both sides: try to accumulate losses on ONE enemy country. Ie: 2 FR RPs needed to build back to full strenght is much better then 1 FR RP and 1 BR RP.

Remember: if the CP hurts your FR or BRs, you play a RP card. With that card, the Russian replacements are covered for. So make sure you use them up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Lundstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
Early on, Russia has to put pressure on AH to stop the CP player from doing what he really wants to use the Austrians for, namely taking out the Serbs early and push down to be able to take out Salonika the instant it opens, and to switch troops to bitchslap the poor, helpless Italians. A thorough push with some good luck will really the hurt the Austrians, or at least force Germany to commit considerable support.

Following this, it's a question about reacting to the CP actions. If you're thrashing AH badly with no serious German threat in sight, by all means keep pushing. If the Germans push hard in the west, try to draw reinforcements to the east by pushing/threatening Germany there. And if, as I personallyt think is the best CP move, the Germans push against Russia to get to Brest-Litovsk, just try to survive for as long as possible.

In Turkey, get Yudenitch ASAP and make some moves on Turks. When you take a step-loss on him (probably due to Kemal), you probably want to switch to defense for a while.

To respond to the original question: If the situation in the west is getting stable, I'd combine a forward defence in the north with a push against the Austrians. The Serbs only have to hold for as long as possible, but often tactical attacks against the Austrians is one of the best ways to accomplish this. Try not to take permanent losses on the Serbs, though - they'll be highly valuable if you get Salonika to work out.

Romania will almost always be a non-starter - the reason you activate it is to force the CP to commit a few moves to take them out. Using the Russians down there is deeply problematic - you're far from home, with vulnerable supply lines. The exception is if you're making a mess of the CP in the Balkans already, likely with a hodge-podge of Serbs, Italians (crossing the Adriatic) and whatever you sent into Salonika to start with. Adding Romanians and Russians into this cauldron is a potential game-breaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.