Popular Tags: [View All]
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have just managed to buy an Uberbadge, however, I have absolutely no idea how to make it. I am confused by what bar and all the rest means.

Is there a guide here for how to do it? How do you get a picture in there on either end or right across with text through it? Can you alter the depth or width of these things.

Nothing seems at all clear. At the momnet, I can't make an Ubernadge seem much different form a normal badge, and if I try to put a pic and text in, the pic takes up too little or too much space and blocks out words.

Maybe folks made their image on a DTP prog first and then imported it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just went throught this last night setting up my new Uberbadge and my replacement avatar to go with it. This thread was extremely helpful:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthread&th...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest thing to remember is that your image should not be 100x22px. Instead, make your image 96x18px. Upload the image in the left hand side of the control panel only (leave the right side blank and make sure the 'use current image' on the right side is not checked).

The generated PNG will wrap the outside of your badge image with an 'inner' 1px border in the color you specify and then again in an 'outer' 1px border in the other color you specify bringing the total size of the Uberbadge to 100x22.

It might be nice if we could have the ability to opt-out of the border wrapping on the badge allowing us the full 100x22 size. I would have liked a more seamless look and feel with my badge image and my avatar image without the visual break for the border.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, great advice here and in the thread that's linked here.

here's what I've done;
1. Created a couple of poss badges in full size in Serif DTP
2. Copied it to Paint Shop Pro 5 (the best I have)
3. Resized it to the 96 by 18 pixels.

What happens is I get an image that's filling only 25% of the total box - starting from the left. The rest of the box is a dull colour and the whole thing looks quite narrow height wise.

I'll try with more pixels. Any advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I was experiencing a similar issue.

I was having problems if I previewed my settings more than once. It seemed like it was carrying some formatting from one attempt to another. So I cancelled and then edited my badge again. Then before previewing I set the bar position to 0, the inner/outer borders to the color settings I wanted, cleared all other fields to be empty except left text start and right text start (I set those to 0).

Then, in the left hand image side I browsed to the file containing my entire badge image (96x18) and then and only then clicked preview. After that, it covered the entire badge with the image rather than just some sort of left or right segment. I could then play with the border colors and preview multiple times without issue.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Originally, I wanted something with a much more intersting background, but I found all of those to be too fussy for the small size - the colours blur into each other. It's taken me a solid 3 hours of work. What I've got is better than before, but I'd like to have had an image as well as the text in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my experiences here lead me to believe that it would be a good idea if there was a link to a short help page on the pages wehere you go to make Geek and Uber Badges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work so far. It's readable and has some nice color.
Lately I've been toying with the idea of taking card and game art from some of my favorite games and creating Avatar and Badge collections to upload into the picture galleries.

Here's some of the work:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/110479
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/108602
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/108427

I think one of the most imporant things that I've discovered is that when creating the original template of 96x18 for the bagde, don't be afraid to increase the resolution. This will hold more of the detail as you resize the larger pic down to fit. Set the view back to 1:1 and perform a Sharpen filter. Usually this has resulted in something a bit clearer although it will look more pixalated when viewed zoomed in. Small pics in the badge are OK but you'll want something without alot of detail or many colors, this will increase the chance of it still looking good once reduced.

Edit:
Also, don't fret about Paint Shop Pro, it's what I use and I've found it a lot more user friendly than Adobe. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also, don't fret about Paint Shop Pro, it's what I use and I've found it a lot more user friendly than Adobe.

I'm a Paint Shop Pro user also. It takes a bit to get the zen of it but I do like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, he he...what I meant was that Paint Shop Pro 5 was the highest version of that prog that I've got. There's nowt wrong with it as you say.

I also have Serif Page Plus 8 - which is where I did the final work you see. Serif has many more options - but most of them are rather a matter of muddying the waters -there are maybe too many.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Admiral Fisher wrote:
What happens is I get an image that's filling only 25% of the total box - starting from the left. The rest of the box is a dull colour and the whole thing looks quite narrow height wise.

All the other advice is quite good. But one additional hint. I think I also had the problem once where the image even at the 96x18 does not fill the box. As I recall, it was because I saved it as a JPG and then uploaded it (I think BGG changes it to a PNG). Anyway, when I uploaded a PNG, it looked the right size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Donohue
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
Kneel puny Doomtrooper before the might of the Ezoghoul!
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally! I've got one.

Which, without this advice, I'd never have been able to actually use.

Thanks all!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All right, it looks good in My Geek but it's off center on my posts. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Now it looks fine! I cleaned out my cache a couple times and it didn't change anything. Now I ask one question and it's fine. It's like I'm at the car mechanic or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.