Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I was reading Larry Levy's column on Boardgame News.

http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

He has a top ten list of the best card games (including Babel). The Babel blurb includes the following statement:

Quote:
Once we started using Greg Aleknevicus’ double discard pile variant, this game began approaching greatness.

Does anyone know what this variant is? I did some googling and searched the forums, reviews, and session reports on bgg, but couldn't find the answer.

Oh and a note to any bgg admins reading this --- I think the old Babel forums still need to be sorted into the new hierarchy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I believe that he maintains two piles on each side. When you reveal two temples at the end of the turn, instead of putting them in order on one pile, you put one on each pile.

I remember arguing with Greg and Larry about it at one time (probably on Spielfrieks), me taking the position that it would speed up the game too much and messing up the card power balance. On the other hand, (1) I still haven't tried the variant, and (2) in my last couple of games, the luck of the temple draw has driven me mad!

- d

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'll try a search of the sf archive.

Edit: Yup, that is indeed the variant. The argument seems to be that the temple cards get clogged too often and this is reduced by having 4 piles instead of 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One unresolved question though...when drawing the 2 temple cards do you pick which one goes on which of your piles or is it random (i.e., you have a pile 1 and a pile 2 and the first drawn temple card goes on pile 1 and the second one goes on temple 2)?

So far I haven't had any trouble with temple card clogging, but if I notice a problem I might try out the variant.

Now I'm much more worried about choosing how to play the Sumerian power. Since the RGG rules are clear on this point I didn't realize there was a potential issue...

For details:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/94915

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Well, it's a variant so play whichever method you prefer but...

I play that you do NOT get a choice of where to place the cards you draw. So yes, you need to designate one of your piles as the "first" and the other as the "second".

I'll agree that many (most?) times the game works well when played straight but every now and again, you get an ordering issue that practically dictates the winner. It's a variant I prefer but not one that I insist on using.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.