Tim Loomis
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

If I understand correctly, any time a car is stationary, when it becomes your movement turn then you move to an adjacent space and decide on one of the "speed one" direction options, A-E.

So I assume this is also true for the first turn of the game .... when it becomes your turn you simply move your car one space forward and choose a direction to point your car. Do I have this right?

Thanks,

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fitch
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
tloomis wrote:

If I understand correctly, any time a car is stationary, when it becomes your movement turn then you move to an adjacent space and decide on one of the "speed one" direction options, A-E.

So I assume this is also true for the first turn of the game .... when it becomes your turn you simply move your car one space forward and choose a direction to point your car. Do I have this right?

Tim,
This is confusing to me, too. The wording in the "Determining The Turn Sequence" section seem to indicate that the stationary car can only move foward since it says that "no further planning (other than sequence #)is necessary for cars beginning the round stationary." But if the stationary car is allowed to move forward and turn, then it seems that would require an A-E be entered for the movement option. However, if a stationary car is only allowed to move 1 space forward and change facing, then how could two stationary cars that are adjacent and facing each other (ie. after a head-on bump) ever be able to move? I may be missing something as I've only glanced through the rules, but this kind of confusion may have been part of the problem with my one aborted attempt play.

I must be missing something... I'd be interested in knowing how you end up interpreting the rules and how the play goes.

Determining the Turn Sequence
"Each player chooses a turn sequence number for his car and marks it on the log sheet. Later, in the action phase, the cars will move in the order of those numbers, lowest number first, then next higher etc. No further planning is necessary for cars beginning the round stationary. Of course, this is true for all cars in the first round of play, later it concerns all cars that currently have no speed markers."

See ya,
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The mention in the "Determining the turn sequence" section refers to the fact that all the owner of a stationary car has to do is choose a turn sequence number. Because of the description of the action to be taken (which is in the "Action Phase", section 2 "Movement of cars" part of the rules) it is not necessary to choose a movement direction and speed. On the first turn no one has to put a letter in their chosen turn sequence number, they just have to mark the circle, since everyone will start stationary.

The rules for moving a stationary car state:

Quote:
The player moves the car to a vacant, adjacent space of his choice, choosing one of the positions A...E from the movement options chart for the direction. Then he puts one speed marker on the car's pole to indicate a current speed of 1. Any originally chosen movement option for that car is ignored.

The way it works is this: A stationary car will "drift" in the direction of the player's choice and can end up facing any orientation other than 180 degrees from the way it started.

The last sentence of the rule is just there to reinforce that stationary cars move the same way regardless of why they became stationary.

Does this help or just confuse things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fitch
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:
The way it works is this: A stationary car will "drift" in the direction of the player's choice and can end up facing any orientation other than 180 degrees from the way it started.

That explains it nicely. So that means that a stationary car actually can back out and change facing after a collision.

I don't know how I missed that section when I reviewed the rules earlier, I even did a search on 'stationary'. I suspect that I missed that rule when I tried to teach the game, too.

Thanks, Paul. I'll definitely have to give this game another go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
Taiwan
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Psauberer wrote:

I don't think drift is quite right. I believe that you are just extremely maneuverable at low speeds. Ie, you can drive out of your hex in ANY direction into a vacant hex, but can never face the hex you came from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This rule helps a trapped car to escape. Else a car in a corner surrounded by opponent cars is an easy target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know what happens if your car is stationary and, on your turn to move, there are no unoccupied adjacent spaces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guenter Cornett
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
DaviddesJ wrote:
Does anyone know what happens if your car is stationary and, on your turn to move, there are no unoccupied adjacent spaces?

Then you cannot move. You loose this turn.

regards, Guenter

Thanks to all for answering the rules question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominique Doguet
France
SAINT SYLVAIN
SEINE MARITIME
flag msg tools
Unaware... Really ?
badge
In case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening and good night !
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

I'm really sorry to barge in here so long after this game has been released, but I tried it for the first time yesterday evening, and I've taken a good look at your posts on this "Rules" forum : there's one thing I can't seem to get right and I need someone's help on two questions :

1) I've read on this forum that at the start of the game (ie before the first turn), no one needs to write a letter (for direction or speed) but at least everybody has to choose a number for turn order. If I'm right, what's the point ? All cars are stationary and will move on another hex and get a speed marker. So, would it mean that this first of 11 turns is always somewhat "lost" ?

2) Relating to my first question, am I correct to assume that, at the beginning of a turn, when a car is stationary, its only action will be to move to another hex and get a speed marker, thus constituing its ONLY action for the WHOLE turn (while other players may move and crash "at will") ?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
The point of 'selecting a number' in turn one is to eliminate different numbers from the rest of the game. Also, going later in the first turn may give you an idea of what direction to turn.

For your second. Yes your move is choosing which space and direction you want to face.

It's not a completely lost turn, but it's not the best.

Just like in real bumper cars, it's not very fun to come to a stop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominique Doguet
France
SAINT SYLVAIN
SEINE MARITIME
flag msg tools
Unaware... Really ?
badge
In case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening and good night !
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I thank you for your clear answers. I'll play more carefully next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.