Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Berry
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing a round of Puerto Rico at the local game club someone suggested we play a game of "Shadows Over Camelot." I had never played before so was a little hesitant to learn a new game so late in the evening. I eventually agreed to do so because of the enthusiasm for the game shown by the games owner and one other potential player.

Four of us sat down and set the game up. The rules were explained in a reasonably quick manner and I believe I understood the majority of them. Essentially The game ended when the round table filled up with swords, or if Camelot was surrounded with 12 catapults. The game's players were supposed to cooperate to ensure that the castle was never surrounded and that the round table filled with more white swords (which one or more are received when a heroic deed is done) than black swords (which are received when a villianous deed is done.) Each player, who portrayed a knight of Camelot, had two actions they must do each round. The first was to resolve a bad deed. This could be done by either taking a wound, placing a hostile catapult, or drawing a black card and fulfilling its wording. The second was to take a heroic action of participating in a quest, fighting the catapults, fighting the invading armies of picts or saxons, or resting in Camelot. Not so hard to understand.

After the rules were explained we were then told to draw a card representing the knight we were to be for the game. I got "Sir Gallahad." A final draw of a card would tell us if we were to be one of the four goodly knights or the traitorous rogue who only won if the forces of good lost. Before the cards were drawn my friend Brandi proclaimed that I was most definitely going to draw the "traitor" card. I drew my card and peeked, sure enough I was to be the foul traitor. I immediately had to pretend to be interested in which of my fellow player's might have been the scum traitor.

As the game progressed I was more a servant of the dark side by being useless to the team rather than overtly foiling the team's plans. I participated in quests with very weak support and for the one quest I did help complete, "Retrieving Excalibur" though I ended up with the legendary sword, guaranteeing it wouldn't be too helpful to the forces of good.

Turn after turn happened with more and more catapults piling up. Six swords were obtained but two of those were black. I accused another player of being the traitor, who I obviously knew wasn't, and flipped another of the swords from white to black. No one ever accused me and eventually 11 catapults were collected. I placed the final catapult causing the downfall of Camelot.

I enjoyed my one game of it but don't know how much replay value the game has. I think I could be persuaded to play again but would likely never suggest the game be played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.