Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three player Pureto Rico - I believe this might be the first time I've played Puerto Rico with three. Esther, Mitchell and myself set up the game and my son began. Being last, of course, means you end up with corn - so immediately, in my head, I'm telling myself "shipping strategy Dan, you've never successfully adopted a shipping strategy at this game - forget the factory generating money to build buildings strategy - be fluid..be flexible..try shipping..come on..you might like it". The plantation market quickly threw a monkey wrench into this fantastic thinking because... "no corn..okay Dan..don't panic..take the tobacco, just in case, you'll at least have something of value to sell to the trading house to go along with this killer shipping strategy" . Introduce the new plantations ... "Okay there's a corn there, Esther will certainly take the builder to build an indigo plant to produce indigo and I'll get that corn plantation to begin my corn shipping empire" The governorship goes to my wife... "what?? settler?? are you kidding me..no..don't take the corn..don't take the corn..oh, come on" ...and so,... "alright, take the sugar, at least no one else will have sugar, hey maybe a sugar shipping empire... wait a minute...corn, sugar, tobacco...all I need now are indigo and coffee and were all set...get the factory...it's early in the game...doubloons...buildings...victory is mmmiiiinnnneeee" . And so it went, by mid-game my wife had the corn shipping empire and had already earned a whopping 30 VPs through shipping (she plays with her VP chips face up - not sure if its to rub in your face - she really doesn't care, she is the most carefree person on the face of the earth, man I wish I could be like that). "Hah, she only has a few buildings, I know, I'll constantly sell to the trading house and build buildings to end the game and stop her..yeah, Guild Hall, Customs House (can't let her have that one she'll leave us in her dust if she gets that one)" . Getting close to the end, "if I get City Hall and get a colonist on it surely that'll be enough VPs to beat her gazillion VPs from shipping" but too little too late, she was the last to choose a role this round and picked Captain triggered game end by shipping one last time, exhausting the VP chips. The final score...

Esther 55 pts
47 VPs (shipping) + 8 VPs (buildings)
Daniel 51 pts
15 VPs (shipping) + 24 VPs (buildings) + 3 VPs (Customs House) + 9 VPs (Guild Hall)
Mitchell 40 pts
16 VPs (shipping) + 19 VPs (buildings) + 5 VPs (Fortress)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.