Popular Tags: [View All]
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Physical description of Britannia 2, using advanced copy sent to me by FFG before they'd received their shipment (which they're going to modify).

I noticed, and my wife saw immediately, that the box doesn't close properly, in the sense that the top doesn't come all the way down over the bottom. That turns out to be a problem caused by the cardboard insert, which is too high. This is the insert that will be replaced (perhaps by one that has four compartments rather than one for storing pieces, as well--we can hope).

The box is 11 by 11 inches, and would be 2.75 inches thick if it closed all the way.

The board is six sections each 11 by 11 for a total of 22 by 33 inches. It is mounted on folding hard cardboard, the six sections together about five eighths inch thick.

There are four counter sheets each 11 by 11 (see the pattern?). The four sheets together are three eighths inch thick (thicker than the old pieces, I think). Standard pieces are seven eighths inch square with slightly rounded corners. Leaders are shield-shaped (like the shield used for heraldry), 1.25 inches long and 15/16 inches wide. Round pieces (mainly the point counters) are 13/16 inches in diameter. As with the original games, the pieces are individually cut (unused cardboard between each piece), not mass-cut as with many old-time wargames. They are printed on both sides.

There are 251 pieces, I'm told (I didn't count).

The rules are 24 pages, 11 by 11 inches.

The nation cards are 5 by 7 inches on quite thin stock, much like photographic paper. I believe these are going to be replaced with more sturdy stock.

There are five dice, five eighths inches square, made of wood, surprisingly.

Lew Pulsipher (the designer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Lewis,
I was lucky enough to get one of the copies briefly available in Europe in December, and my experiences match yours: the cardboard insert was too high (& immediately discarded), the nation cards are relatively thin, but work fine.

I managed to play my first (ever) game last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it - many thanks to you & FFG for making this game available again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
So it appears from the rules posted on FFG's site that they screwed up the update that would've caused the Pennines, Cumbria, Lothian, & Galloway to NOT meet at a point. In the Designer's Notes, Lew's comments indicate that the "four corners" has been changed; in the picture of the map in the rulebook (page 4 in the Setup diagram) these 4 areas meet at a point after all. Can anyone with a copy confirm or deny this?

If you zoom the online rules (pp 3,4 or 13), you should see that there's now a small gap where these 4 regions (nearly) join. Specifically: the Pennines doesn't connect to Galloway. While it may be hard to spot in the rules, this is quite clear on the board itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lew really underemphasized this point, but the FFG edition is gorgeous. The map is huge, attractive, and lies flat without valleys. The counters are thick, glossy (might've preferred a linen finish for durability and reduced glare, but this finish is really eye-catching), nicely illustrated, and very easy to handle. The nation cards are on thick stock (apparently different from what Lew is describing, which is good). The rules do seem bloated, but I suppose that's to be preferred to being overly terse. The insert is laughable, and almost unusable once the counters are punched (and they punch effortlessly and without any tearing or extra bits hanging off), especially if you want to bag them.

But aside from that final nit, this is fantastic presentation, and definitely more appealing to a general audience than the AH edition. I hope FFG decides to reprint other high-quality old wargames, as this is just amazing stuff for the price compared to other wargame manufacturers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But what's this I hear about a huge error on the timeline that isn't in FFG's FAQ? I just bought this and want to play tonight, but no way I'm doing that until I know where all the errors are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jutes do not play before the Saxons. The board is incorrect. The chart on p. 20 is correct. OR so says the post that references this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The post Brad refers to is, I think, this one from uber-player/tester Torben Mogensen:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=...

It appears the jury is still out. Someone "official" indicated that some of the changes were intentional (but didn't specify which), so it's hard to know what to think. Why not just play it by the book for now and see how it goes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the one I'm referring to is posted by the designer here on the geek. Might be in the "Wrong insert?" thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what's the ruling on all of Torben's questions? Has Mr. Pulsipher responded somewhere else? Or does it play just fine out of the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Natus wrote:
So what's the ruling on all of Torben's questions? Has Mr. Pulsipher responded somewhere else? Or does it play just fine out of the box?

(I wonder if that's the same Torben who visited the Billabong Boardgamers all those years ago....)

I had no idea there was errata and cranked out two games - seemed to play fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Natus wrote:

I believe Dr. Pulsipher has submitted his responses to FFG, and everyone is awaiting their review and publication of an "enhanced" Errata/FAQ/Clarifications. Check the "Eurobrit" Yahoo group for more info on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and behold, a new file has appeared on FFG:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/PDF/britanniafaq.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I was looking for! Pity they made such an error on the board itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's a pity, but the discussions over on the eurobrit group (not to mention Doug Adams' remarks, above) have led me to believe that the game will play out reasonably well either way. In fact, as I learn more about it, many of the little tweaks seem somewhat arbitrary. But it's a very stable and self-balancing core system, so it works well regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.