Subject: Which Of These Is Best??? HELP ASAP! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach Drapala
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
I'm participating in a math trade, and having trouble deciding which games to go after....here are my choices:

Mystery of the Abbey
Cosmic Encounter
Caesar and Cleopatra (plus Dracula)
Blokus
Torres
Ra
LOTR Confrontation

Based on your opinion, my current games, and how I've rated them....which few of the these should I go after?
Keep in mind I will mostly be playing with 2, and sometimes at most 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion in order

Caesar and Cleopatra (plus dracula)
Blokus (you can find how to play blokus duo with the main board on the geek)
LOTR Confrontation
Ra
Torres
Cosmic Encounter
Mystery of the Abbey

Just my thoughts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignoring game values, I'd just pick up one of this 3:

Torres
Ra
Blokus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO:

1.Ra
2.Blokus
3.Cosmic Encounter
4.Torres
5.Caesar and Cleopatra (plus Dracula)
6.Mystery of the Abbey
7.LOTR Confrontation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
hibikir wrote:
Ignoring game values, I'd just pick up one of this 3:

Torres
Ra
Blokus

My thoughts exactly. These are all excellent games, and even if you don't like them, you'll have excellent trade fodder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Torres..based on your collection so far..more to the point, based on what you said about Tikal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I represent no danger.
mb
Mystery of the Abbey: I love this game, but it is not universally loved around here on BGG. It's more of gaming experience and not much of a strategy game. It does not play with 2, but plays well with 4. Though it may be impossible, this is definitely a play before you buy kind of game (I'm in Orange County--not too far from Temecula...). The huge amount of chaos and extremely wide-open gameplay is not enjoyable to many people. I always have a really tough time explaining to other gamers why I like this game so much (it's one of my few 10s). It's a game that becomes what you make of it. You can see it as a silly, little theme-heavy game that's good for non-strategy/non-gamers. But, over the past year, I'm really seeing more and more in this game. I love that it simply creates this huge framework for you to do whatever you want in. Then, the other players and (sometimes devastatingly) the game itself constantly push you around and foil your plans. You have to constantly move around within that open framework and, on the spot, find new and creative ways to reach your goals. It is entirely inelegant and a 2+ hour game session can entirely fall apart and break (because it is extremely player/group dependant). It's never a game I can blanketly recommend, but at the same time, a good game of Mystery of the Abbey can be one of the most pleasurable gaming experiences I can have.

Cosmic Encounter: This is a fun game that I never play. I always think that if I had discovered this game in high-school or college, I would have played it over and over and over. I like the nearly infinite combinations of alien races that can make each game different. Alas, I think there are other games on your list you would like more. I picked this game up from a toy shop in Van Nuys for $8 and am glad I did. Any more than that would not have been worth it in my book. I guess I don't having anything really bad to say about it, but I don't have anything great to say about it either.

Caesar and Cleopatra (plus Dracula): I haven't played either of these, but I will say this. I like many of the same games you do, and I just don't seem to get excited about any of the Kosmos 2-player games (though I'm currently considering Jambo). My guess, and this is a total guess, is that Ceasar would be on a level with Hera & Zues. Obviously, totally different games, but I expect our enjoyment level to be right about the same.

Blokus: I haven't played this either, but it is very rare that I find an abstract that I really like (Ingenious is about the only one I can think of, and even then, I only like it so much).

Torres: Based on your love of Tikal, this is a good option for you. Torres is obviously a different game, but there should be enough similarities to satisfy some of those things that make you enjoy Tikal. But is it different enough? You are building a nice game collection and at this point, diversity is very nice. Maybe something totally different would suit your collection better.

Ra: Your collection is lacking an auction game. Auction is one of my favorite game mechanisms so I am a little biased. Ra is almost perfectly elegant. It is so incredibly simple, yet the agony of decision can get downright painful. Normally, the descriptor "simple" will make me run screaming from a game, but I love it in Ra. There is just so much going on with each little decision and there is something about it that makes me want to play over and over again. It is one of my favorite games (and generally universally loved by BGGers).

LOTR Confrontation: As of now, there is a tough decision to make about this game. The Deluxe Edition has just been released. So, do you go for an old copy of the original or spring for the new edition? The problems I have been hearing about the new edition is that it's too big for what it is (the box and the pieces) and the MSRP is $42 (meaning you can find it online for about $27). That's huge money for this little game. I paid less for games like Puerto Rico, Princes of Florence, or Amun-Re. But how can you not get the new edition? They've added characters and new elements to increase the replayability. So getting the old edition might feel incomplete while getting the new edition might make you feel ripped off.

I can't tell you what you should do, but I'll rate them according to what I would do:

Ra
Mystery of the Abbey
Torres
LOTR Confrontation (if you can solve the Deluxe Edition conundrum)
Cosmic Encounter
Blokus
Caesar and Cleopatra (plus Dracula)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Denpends on your Group....

Light Game - I dig Mystery of the Abbey. It's a lot of fun.

Caesar & Cleopatra - didn't dig it at all....seems like the same old same old after two games....

Dracula - never played it...some memory component to the game gulp

Blokus - Great quick game. Rules can be explained in about 5seconds. Best with 4, lacks with 3 IMO. Great filler

Torres - Dry abstrace...not everyone's cup of tea.

LotR - TC - Best 2-player game on the list! Very confrontational. Must play with someone who likes the theme

Ra - I got it, but nobody wants to play it with me. Very elegant auction game...so I hear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
RA! RA! RA! RA! RA!

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always loved this bumper sticker cheer, "Isis, Isis, Isis, Ra! Ra! Ra!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.