Popular Tags: [View All]
Yanik D'Aigle
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello fellow board game geeks. I recently moved to Yellowknife and I was wondering if there are any other gamers or clubs in town. I would love to setup a weekly game night if anyone is interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Adams
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity, what is the population of Yellowknife? I know its a hub (of sorts), but I can't imagine it's very big.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yanik D'Aigle
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question. The city has just over 20,000 people who live here and it serves about 40,000 people from a business perspective. Cold winters but awesome summers. If you love the outdoors, it's a great place to visit, anytime of year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Scott
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! Welcome to Yellowknife, check out https://www.facebook.com/YellowknifeBoardgameEnthusiasts

there is definitely a large population of gamers in YK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was young a buddy and I traveled through the territory. Beautiful country needless to say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Scott
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur, where did you visit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackPine wrote:
I concur, where did you visit?

We didn't have a particular destination. We had finished a round of Grateful Dead shows and didn't want to drive straight back home so decided to detour north and drove through Idaho and then Montana. We entered Alberta through the Port of Carway and after a friendly inspection and search ventured north on Highway 2 and went through Calgary and then veered West on Highway 1 and then drove up north on 93 through the beautiful Banff and Jasper National Parks.

Stayed in Jasper for a short spell and then took 16 east to Edmonton. We had planned going northeast through Fort Mackay and then into Wood Buffalo National Park, but was told by many locals that many of the roads would be unpaved and our vehicle might not make the journey that way. So we opted to go up 43 (I think this was called the Mackenzie highway, but it's been a long time). We took the ferry over at Fort Providence and then the Yellowknife highway to Yellowknife itself. Met some amazing people and everyone was so kind and helpful! Glad we filled up the gas tank before leaving Fort Providence. I don't think we saw another gas station until we reach Yellowknife, though there may have been one in Edzo.

Made another minor mistake and kept stopping along the drive, especially at Edzo/Rae. Ended up covering the last stretch at night and nearly ran into a Bison! Yellowknife kind of blew my mind as I had begun to believe communities were all small that far north. Loved the waterfalls and amazing scenery. A real gem of a trip in my memories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Scott
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a great trip, when was it? There is a bridge over the Mackenzie now, still nowhere for gas between prov and rae(now called bechoko).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackPine wrote:
That sounds like a great trip, when was it? There is a bridge over the Mackenzie now, still nowhere for gas between prov and rae(now called bechoko).

If memory serves me correctly I believe it was during the summer of 1991. With a bridge in place I imagine the ferry is gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Scott
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep the Merv Hardy made it's last crossing in the fall, it's been re-purposed to another crossing now but I don't remember where. A lot has changed here since 91 actually, there's been a lot of development and the economy has transitioned from Gold to Diamonds. the Gold range is still open though, but most of the downtown core has changed around it. Thanks for sharing your trip, was really neat to hear about my home from an outside perspective.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I enjoyed sharing the experience and reliving those memories! I truly believe you live in one of the most beautiful places on earth and will always remember it as a sort of Shangri-la.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Scott
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
check out these videos of Yellowknife for a neat peek at what the city is like now:

I was married at the snow castle that appears in this video:
[geekurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSEfPITHwjw]Old Town Saturday[/geekurl]

[geekurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlA6gGxOkgk]24 hours in Downtown YK[/geekurl]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackPine wrote:
check out these videos of Yellowknife for a neat peek at what the city is like now:

I was married at the snow castle that appears in this video:
[geekurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSEfPITHwjw]Old Town Saturday[/geekurl]

[geekurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlA6gGxOkgk]24 hours in Downtown YK[/geekurl]

Good stuff! The city really has changed and grown since I was there. Did notice that -31 centigrade reading on the bank sign though (-24 fahrenheit for those that need a comparison). Brrrrr! I imagine that is pretty normal for winter that far north. I'd still wear an extra pair of socks to live there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Scott
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hehe yeah that is early winter! in November I'd bundle up for it in March I'd put on a lighter coat! we hit the low 30s pretty regularly throughout the winter and still get a few good weeks of -40c (that's -40f too!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this will be a silly question given that it has been 22 years, but is the YK center (it was one of the two shopping malls back then) and Super A supermarket still there?

Also, is the Wildcat Cafe still operating? We had a meal there on a recommendation from locals as we were told it is the oldest building in Yellowknife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Scott
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not silly at all, the yk centre is still around, the thermometer in the video is on the side of it, The grocery store inside has a new name though. The wildcat is actually the oldest restaurant in town, it's undergoing renovations so that it can be in operation year round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
I watch the tv show Arctic Air, the area looks amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yanik D'Aigle
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironically, most of that show is filmed in Langley BC, one of the places in Canada with the less snow per year....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
bobafett6666 wrote:
Ironically, most of that show is filmed in Langley BC, one of the places in Canada with the less snow per year....

Yes, but the aerial and area shots are actually from the Yellowknife area!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is off topic but I figure Geekers are helpful souls the world over. My daughter, a Geology student, is coming to Yellowknife this summer with a small group of other students from Cambridge University (UK). They are doing a geological mapping project on an area to the Northeast of YK and are going to be camping. Naturally they are planning to buy or hire most of the camping gear in YK rather than fly it over from the UK. If they buy they want to try to sell it off (or donate it?) before returning. Anybody got any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Scott
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
your best bet for selling is www.YKTrader.com. it's a very popular online site in yellowknife, I'm not sure what kind of gear you are looking to buy but I would give Weaver and Devore a try they are local and have been in the north since 1936!

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that. I checked out the selling site and it looks very helpful. The Weaver & Devore online shop seems only to sell outdoor clothing (lots of anti-bug gear - height of summer - my poor daughter...). Do they have a store selling tents etc?
If they decide to donate the gear afterwards (they won't have much time to arrange sale) does anybody know of a worthy cause (youth group? scouts? school?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Scott
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For tents and other camping gear I recommend:

Canadian Tire
Walmart
Overlander sports(pricey but high quality, locally owned store)

Yellowknife has both scouts and girl guide chapters. My wife is heavily involved with guides and I have a friend that is involved with scouts so I can pass along their contact info if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. If they decide to donate their camping gear I will contact you again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter, Cathy, and her 3 fellow geologists duly arrived in Yellowknife a couple of days ago. They are getting food, gear, info, and the bear precaution training, in town before heading up to their campsite at Reid Lake.
A journalist contacted them as a result of these postings so you may see an article in the local paper. Thanks again for all info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |