Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
O.k. You all see the label, I'm new to BGG. What you DON'T see (which would be cool, but is not the subject of this post) is the number of hours I've logged on the 'Geek, searching for new games to play with my gaming-group and my family.

This search would be made so much easier, more intuitive, and more useful to the average user, by the correction of ONE simple omission.

Date Published. Where do you find it? So far, you only get a listing for 'date published' in parenthesis on the "Games By Name" page, "Games By Category, and -Mechanic" (once selected), and "Games By Recently Added" pages. Or by clicking on the related link, to take you to the actual Game Page for that title (But NOT always, which is a shame)
Of course, this information is absolutely necessary. It allows you to distinguish 1914 (1968) from 1914 (1984), to use the first example I came across on the -By Name page.

Particularly devastating, to those of us wishing to benefit more fully from the combined knowledge of the multitudinous geeks, is the absense of this information from BOTH the "Games By Rank" and "Games By # Of Plays" pages. Especially the former.

It's wonderful to know that Puerto Rico is the #1 game by rank on the site. I'm glad that so many of you love it so, and that peaks my interest... and fortunately, it's a relatively recent game, so my chances of finding a copy are great. However, this is NOT true of many of the games that have edged their way up (or down, I suppose) the rankings over time. There are many games in the top 100, for instance, that I'm not likely to find in my local gamestore. Some of these are even OOP (speaking of which, a small tag of OOP applied to each game/link for which this is true would be overwhelmingly welcomed, but that's not the subject of this post either).

What's more, the rankings for older games like #3's EUPHRAT & TIGRIS (1997) or #5's THE PRINCES OF FLORENCE(2000) seem to me just that much more valid because the 'Date Published' information lets me know that these games have stood the test of time well. Granted, that information is a LITTLE BIT skewed by the re-issue of popular titles, but I'll find that information out as I look up those games that come to my attention.

In conclusion, here's what I'd like to see:
The inclusion of the 'Date Published' (in parenthesis) to the name-of/link-to ALL games, and lists of games across the site.

As this is a Universal change (in my naivete' when it comes to coding) I assume that it would be relatively easy to implement (i.e. one change to the code would be sufficient to bring about the desired outcome throughout the site). I hope this is the case, but even if it's not I still hope our dear Site-Admin.s will consider making the effort.

I think they're doing a great job, as it is.... this is just my dearest wish for further improvement. And thank you, whoever you are, for the time you took to read this.

Regards,
-ZZ meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred D.
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb

Have a look at the 'Advanced Search' function of the site:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/searchform.php3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. O.k., so... yeah, that's going to make my searching much easier and, ironically, more time-consuming; as I just know I'll end up doing more OF it. Curse my addiction!!
shake

Thanks for posting that link in your reply. It would have taken me a long while to be familiar enough with the site to stumble across it on my own, Noob that I am.

HOWEVER, that still doesn't change my basic contention that the component information from that wonderful search engine (specifically the 'Date Published' information, which in this case has to be hand-input as a range) should be available on all the various lists/pages on which a game appears.

It's basic, indispensible info.
Still, many thanks.
-ZZ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred D.
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
You mean that the date should always be mentioned whereever the name of the game appears? (Geeklists, etc)

I can't say that I'd find it usefull or that I miss that. When do you really need to know the date? The only purpose I see is in identifying a game. Which is catered for in the list of titles that a search/adv. search produces.

BTW, "Adv. Search" can be found in the light-blue bar, top-right side.

And... welcome to the BGG. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I did give a few reasons I'd like to see this info. You might have noticed them? I know it's a long thread, but...
(friendly kidding.)

Thanks for the welcome,
-ZZ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred D.
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
No worries, I had read it. My "when do you..." was retorical.

Anyway, in general, with a database the size of BGG's it will always be tough to get to the surface the 'hidden' games that would interest you. A universal date addy may or may not help (I can't see the benefit). Besides dates don't mean everything for availability.
Still I'm sure your suggestion has been noted, the admins read the forums on this site.

I have found that the best way to get surprised is by reading the so called Geeklists people come up with. I always found the lists by "ynnen" inspiring, have a look:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=viewlists&...

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.