Popular Tags: [View All]
Shannon L
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased Civilization of Ebay a couple weeks ago and I couldn't wait to play it with my friends. I don't have a gaming group, but a lot of friends who enjoy playing games. I never have problems finding 4-6 friends of mine to play a game with. The only downside is I'm the only one that buys the games. That's another story though.

So last week I played a dry run with four civs, up until the late bronze age, so that I could get a feel for the game mechanics. Last night I finally got to play it with my friends.

So picking up some tips from the forums, I let the two weakest players play Egypt and Babylon. To aid in a faster game, 8 trade cards were allowed to be kept. I also told everyone that it wasn't wise to build any cities until round 5. I also made the call to play up until Early Iron Age (7 civ cards). Here is who played who.

Sam: Africa
Chris: Italy
Aaron: Thrace
Asia: Shannon (me)
Rachel: Babylon
Darren: Egypt

Rule explanation was a bit tough at first. I found it useful to play a trial opening round. After the trial run, people understood the game better and we restarted.

Right off the bat, Darren and Sam where vying for each others space. I thought it would have been smart for Egypt to try to get up to Babylon, but Darren saw it otherwise. Conflict ensued within the 4 round. Maybe Darren were in "Axis and Allies" mode, but they soon realized that maybe they should call a truce and claim open territory before battling out.

Rachel expanded Babylon too fast and ended up losing cities to revolt. I played a modest game, slowly built up to 5 cities and maintained it before going up to 6 cities. Aaron under the flag of Thrace expanded a lot, but he somehow managed it very well. Aaron came into Thrace territory and managed to keep an expanding Italy at bay. Chris's Italy and Aaron's Thrace had numerous large conflicts.

Trade was a very fun element of the game. Everyone had fun being deceitful. Much different the Settlers, you only have to 1/3 truthful.

In the end, Aaron (Thrace) won the game with 7 civ cards. I was closely behind him with 6 cards and just short of my 7 card. If I could have afforded one more card I would have beaten Aaron as I had some of the more pricey cards. I found that coinage really helped me expand later on. I had the option of only taxing my cities one , so I never had to fear a revolt.

We ended the game at 12:30 AM, we started at 6:30pm. So total running time was around 6 hours.

Everyone loved the game, we will definitely play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valdir Jorge
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the problem?!
Hi Shannon!

You wrote:
The only downside is I'm the only one that buys the games

That's the problem?! I wish I had that problem... As the great Dostoyevsky once said "Problems that money can solve are not problems"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.