1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recomend a newb, games similar to Risk (not too complicated) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wallett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Ive started to think about getting into boardgames more, the only boardgames ive played tho have been Monopoly and Risk, Risk beign my favorite and most played with friends and family, so im asking for recomendations for similar strategy games similar to classic Risk, I dont mind going into other games if theyre really great (Puerto Rico) catches my eye but im also interested in samurai swords, and maybe the other risk variations (might be a bit too similar to classic risk?).

The key factor is, that it cant be too complicated to teach to people, or ill never get a game started, samurai swords seems to be an ok level of learning, but really if a game is recomended enougth then im willing to try it.

Recomend away! thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Nexus Ops. It feels a bit like risk, and it's not real complicated. It also keeps the war/battle theme for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Recomend a newb, games similar to Risk (not too complica
Eagle Games new version of conquest of the empire. the classic rules are similar in feel to risk. There is also a second set of rules that comes in the game that is similar to Martin Wallace's Struggle of Empires game.

Both rules are approachable by non gamers and light gamers.

Any of the old Milton Bradley big box games such as Axis and allies, the above mentioned conquest of the empire, Shogun (AKA Samurai Swords) and fortress america are rather risk like if you can find them.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You could try Nexus Ops. It feels a bit like risk, and it's not real complicated. It also keeps the war/battle theme for you.

Yes, try Nexus Ops! The only problem that you might have is the multiple tasks you preform each turn, otherwise your good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players? For 2 I'd recommend Memoir '44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wallett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
probabley more than 2 (3 minimum), playing two player risk is not fun soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The normal evolutionary step up from Risk would be Axis and Allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you are coming from a Risk background, but are you only looking for a war-themed game? if you are looking a game (that has area control aspects, for example), I would suggest something like Elfenland or Carcasonne. There is a difference between a game having some rules that need studying and teaching rules to non-gamers. If you are willing to do some studying, a lot of the games are not that hard to teach. I have initiated (and still do) many non-gamers to games that are popular here at the Geek. The key is to study and learn the rules well before you have to explain it to them. Then, to teach something like Elfenland or Carcassonne is not a problem at all. Something like Puerto Rico or Power Grid would be a second step. You can even take it one step further with some games and first initiate people with the card game versions (like King of the Elves before Elfenland and San Juan before Puerto Rico, though SJ can be as confusing as PR sometimes!) If you are looking for war-themed or war games, I suggest Memoir '44 with teams (2 vs. 2), but I am no expert so others will know better.

but in general, if you are willing to spend half an hour to read, understand, set up, and figure out a game, any of the games above will be relatively easy to teach.

ps. I only mentioned some games that are popular, but there are many many great games that would fit what you are looking for. You can use the game search using the weight specifications to find similar weighted or just similar games to anything you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
mbmbmbmbmb
my vote is World In War: Combined Arms VERY easy to learn, much fun.

(http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/13981)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai Swords (also called Shogun, but then so many games are called Shogun) is a very good move, but it is out of print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try Condottiere or Havoc: The Hundred Years War. I'd also recommend Avalon Hill's Battle Cry if you could find it (it's out of print) but the aforementioned Memoir '44 is readily available; it's an updated version of the same system but with WWII scenarios as opposed to the Civil War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The basic version of Attack! is very similar to Risk. Then, if you are looking for more complexity, you can buy the expansion, which adds some additional rules for depth.

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the above suggestions, I personally hated Attack! and I find Elfenland nothing whatsoever like Risk.

I might suggest Britannia. It is a bit similar to Risk on the surface, but with a population track for each of the different races, and each race has its own goals. Players may control more than one race simultaneously.

Also look into Hispania, Germania, Maharaja- the Conquest of India, and Chariot Lords. Each of those is a variation on the basic game type of Britannia, but in a different setting.

I too got into Risk, then went looking for similar games. I discovered Maharaja and Chariot Lords. I found them to be exactly what I was looking for at the time, and a step up from Risk in terms of fun and general coolness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The normal evolutionary step up from Risk would be Axis and Allies.

Of course, others believe that has come about due to Intelligent Design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wallett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
World in War: Combined Arms, this game looks pretty good, but I just like samurai swords "look" more , which game is better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might as well forget about Samurai Swords unless you have a rich uncle. There is a copy for sale in the market place for 55$, but it will cost you big bucks before it reaches the UK.

Please consider that SS are 20 years old. Many great things in game design has happened since then.

I never played Risk, but enjoy Risk 2210AD once in a while. It's different from plain old regular Risk, and are a very good step up.

But then again... if you are looking for something completely different, Risk 2210AD are probably not it. But if you are looking for Risk with a shake and a twist you should check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
For an older game you might try Wizard's Quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk 2210 & Axis and Allies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Blood Feud in New York http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/14258, which happens to be on clearance at walmart.com for $25. Lots of combat, but so much more interesting than Risk and pleanty of opportunity to talk smack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with most of what has already been recommended:

Memoir '44 (great game, 2 players only)
Nexus Ops
Risk: 2210
Risk: Lord of the Rings, Trilogy Edition
Axis and Allies

For non-war themes:

Ticket to Ride
Samurai
San Juan
Settlers of Catan
Lost Cities (2 player)
Citadels
Attika
Lord of the Rings - The Confrontation (2 player)

Puerto Rico is a great game, but is more complicated than it sounds like you are asking for.

The most-played games:
http://boardgamegeek.com/playstats.php3?action=docustomquery...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll go out on a limb and recommend A Game of Thrones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Holthuis
Netherlands
Buitenpost
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VINCI: This game is easy to learn and teach and solves conflicts without dice.
You can find it here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/60
I've introduced this to Risk players, and they loved this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recommend Nexus Ops. Dayglo aliens might be a plus or a minus, so if you want something a little more serious in appearance, I second the recommendation for Vinci.

I strongly recommend you look into something outside your expectations a little, and in that vein, I cannot recommend Ticket to Ride highly enough. Perhaps you could pick one war-themed title, and then one game that's a little different but easy to get into, like Ticket to Ride.

I only say this because when I first started looking, I let theme guide my choices a little too much. I later learned that while a game's theme is important to me, my interests were wider than I had thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
I'll go out on a limb and recommend A Game of Thrones.

This is the last game I would suggest. I think this would be a total failure for someone asking for a newb game. Its not that good of a game IMHO anyway.

I will re-suggest conquest of the empire. here is why:

The play is similar to risk. (it is a brother to A&A and Shogun)
The rules are easy to learn.
The game looks great (bits art etc etc.)
there are 2 sets of rules in the box so it can be played as 2 different games.

This game is still in print and should be available at any FLGS and or online.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A step up from Monopoly would be St. Petersburg. Simple game that a family could enjoy. I don't think it is any more complicated then Monopoly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.