Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mill Master
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just a few quick and stupid questions.
How does diagonal movement work around obstacles? We had a map where there was rubble up against a wall, but people were trying to squeek in diagonaly to get round the rubble. Also, there are some squares on the board on the edge of the tile that have a square diagonal to them but it looks by the art on the tile that it would be hard for a player to move diagonaly. I couldnt really find anywhere in the rules that talk about either of these so I didnt know.

Also, can players use fatigue on other players turns to gain movement points to take actions like drinking potions?

I printed out a player cheat sheet, and it was saying something about getting to roll die to remove poison counters? But the rules never stated anything about it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven alexander
United States
portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Just a few quick and stupid questions.
How does diagonal movement work around obstacles? We had a map where there was rubble up against a wall, but people were trying to squeek in diagonaly to get round the rubble. Also, there are some squares on the board on the edge of the tile that have a square diagonal to them but it looks by the art on the tile that it would be hard for a player to move diagonaly. I couldnt really find anywhere in the rules that talk about either of these so I didnt know.

Yes, you can move diagonally around obstacles or cave corners. See movement example Pg9 of rules.

Quote:
Also, can players use fatigue on other players turns to gain movement points to take actions like drinking potions?

No, when your turn is over, it is over until after the overlord has gone (with the possible exception of using a guarding action)

Quote:
I printed out a player cheat sheet, and it was saying something about getting to roll die to remove poison counters? But the rules never stated anything about it...

It sounds like it's referring more to webs then poison. You remove poison tokens when you heal. They come off before you regain health.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can move diagonally around obstacles and corners. However I did read on the FFG forums (at least I think it was their forums) that you cannot move diagonally through an obstacle and a corner of the board. The ruling was that the hero or monster must stay on the board. I apologise for not remembering exactly where I read this.

The example given was in the first quest Area 3. You cannot move diagonally to the left of the 3 square rubble obstacle because you would have to move offboard so to speak. The only way past that 3 square obstacle is through the side with the Health potion.

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously?
I have read (I think!) that it IS possible to move in that gap, and we have been playing it as such.

If you could find and post a link to that information, it would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven alexander
United States
portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see any logical reason why a player could move diagonally around an obstacle, but not a corner of the board. They aren't moving through the obstacle, so why would they need to move off the board to cut a corner there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mill Master
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, use this as an example. Check out this picture.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/103670

The square to the right of the token. If you are standing there, can you move diagonal to the right? Or look at the upper square going diagonaly down. The way the tiles are drawn it doesnt look like you should be able to sneak around like that. Is that considered an "off the board" move because some of the base of your guy will move off the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven alexander
United States
portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like your real question here is whether the two squares in your example constitute whole squares, and whether figures can move onto them. I would say, if they are whole square spaces and figures can occupy them, then they are whole enough so that the figure could move diagonally off them. If moving diagonally off them would involve moving off the map somewhat, then they are not whole squares and thus, should not have been occupied in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mill Master
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well your not saying that those 2 squares in my example picture could not be occupied at all right? It just doesnt LOOK like a player would be able to move across that corner like that, both because of the picture on the tile, and because they would have to move off the board a little bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven alexander
United States
portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Well your not saying that those 2 squares in my example picture could not be occupied at all right?

No, not at all. In fact I would rule that those squares CAN be occupied. But by that same ruling you should be able to move diagonally from them. If two squares that are diagonal from each other are both capable of being occupied, then they have to be whole enough to be able to move diagonally from one to the other. Otherwise, logically, they must not be whole enough for someone to occupy them.

If the map makes it look like there is a bit of space in between them, making it so you would have to go off the board when moving diagonally, then one of those squares would have to be unwhole. In that event, no one should be able to occupy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mill Master
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess it just depends on what the deffiniton of "off the board" is. The rules say you cant move off the board, so how tight are you gona enforce that? If I start to move diagonaly and part of the base of my figure goes off the board, is that what they mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have spent far too much time looking to find where I read that you cannot cut corners on the edge of the board and an obstacle. I did however find a bunch of folks who stated that. Nothing by anybody official though.

So, in my frustration I asked the question clearly on the FFG forums and most of the replies stated that you COULD move through such a space. These are all from other posters however, after 3 or 4 days though, nobody official has answered my question.

The rule book is very clear on LOS, there is LOS, however to my mind its still not totally clear if movement is allowed. I played a game last night and we said that kind of movement was allowed and it did affect some of our movement.

So, I must apologise for not quoting an official source before, it must have just been someone else giving their opinion. I will in the future not pass on any rule answers without first having "official" back up.

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, have found nothing further on this. I will go back to allowing it.

Thanks for looking into it, and responding to my query.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Orr
United States
Medical Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Diagonal squares are adjacent. Hero's (and monsters) can move to adjacent squares (if not occupies already, and in some instances can continue moving through occupied squares). That the adjacent squares are "around" the edge of the board is not relevant; the heroes can make that move.

-P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming that a figure can move diagonally between 2 occupied spaces, how much space does a large monster require in order to move diagonally? I would assume that it could not move between 2 obstacles or figures ajacent to one another, but would one space of separation be enough? I would assume so, since a small figure can move with no spaces in between.

A good example is area three of the first quest. Which spaces can the Bane Spider move through legally assuming no interferance other than the initial terrain? I would guess that the only place it couldn't move would be around the corner opposite its initial position where the large obstacle is adjacent to the wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
The figure must be able to legally stop at every step along his movement. Consider friendly units and pits to be empty spaces for this purpose.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.