Popular Tags: [View All]
B. Huddleston
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anybody played a game with the 8 base set characters against the 8 P&D expansion characters? I'm wondering if these two sets of characters are well balanced or not. I have just ordered the base set (has not yet arrived) and I am already considering this expansion. I would really like the idea of playing with asymetric teams, if they were well balanced (i.e. LOTR: Confrontation). Or do you really need dulicate teams (i.e. chess) for this game to work. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman S.
United States
South San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game with it last night, but we didn't go P&D vs base. It's hard, I think, because, well, the Thief is quite possibly the most indispensible character.

But P&D does change the dynamic of the game greatly, because some of the items introduced are entirely meta items, specifically the Dragonslayer and Fire Shield. So you either have to think whether or not they'd have it, and meta game it all.

Also, apparently the Red Dragon and Teleportation Ring are a harsh, harsh combination.

But I think the P&D characters are far more specialized, making them a bit more powerful in what they do, but the base set characters are just more versatile. For example, the Weapons Master is far stronger than the Warrior in combat, but you lose the Warrior's ability to kick doors open, and therefore its noncombat power. The dragon may be a better blockade than the troll, but it sure isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Comparing the two could very well be comparing apples to oranges.

It's too soon, though, so I can't say whether any asymmetry is an imbalance or personal preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Wiels
Belgium
Chatelet
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not the same kind of game, really... You just have to play a few stand alone game to get that...

Some players prefer the basic team, others are fans of the red dragon, who is able to score rapidly victory points, and who is a great weapon against the troll (try to place your troll on your opponent side of the board when he plays the dragon, and you'll be surprised by the results).

A good player will win with any of these two teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Allardyce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like the idea of asymetric teams. Has anyone tried using both sets, but players take turns picking their teams from the overall pool (with no duplicates allowed)? Sort of a schoolyard hockey selection method.

You'd lose the "suprise" element, but you might have to strategically select your team based on what the other player picked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat zo
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
with the full paladin & Dragon set, you will see that open a door is much much difficult without the thief and the warrior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
matzo wrote:
with the full paladin & Dragon set, you will see that open a door is much much difficult without the thief and the warrior.

Agreed - a good way to get comfortable with the new set is to play the new Characters and Items on the basic board and vice versa. That way, you can see clearly what advantages and disadvantages come into play with this expansion and its characters. Not being able to get through doors makes a HUGE difference in play style.

I'm currently working on figuring out how to use the P&D characters in the 3/4 Player Expansion rooms - it's a real challenge. Rooms 9-12 are tough rooms!

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.