Subject: Session Report: 2 vs. 1 - without a chance. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario J
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus OPS was the game we (my sister, her fiancée and I) decided to play after a small birthday party (my sis turned 27). Tom was the first timer to this game, so I used him to set up the board so he was more familiar with the mechanics of it. Plus, this way he couldn’t blame any of us for what may have been an unfair toss of hexes and Exploration Tiles. But as it turned out, he created a dream map for self. Just look:
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/5651/nexusops0ci.jpg

(in order of play)
Tom: PINK
Agnes: GREEN
Me: BLUE

(NOTE: I recreated the board today, as I didn’t have a camera with me at the time).

I started my game with 4 Humans and 2 Fungoids. I was hoping to fight my sister more often (hence 2 Fungoids), as I didn’t see Tom to be much of a threat… first mistake. Mistake two: I left my home base hex (2 mine) without a unit after turn one (no idea how that happen, I was way ahead of myself). Two turns later, I realized what a terrible economic disadvantage I’m in. To top it off, Tom was in control of Monolith throughout the majority of the game. On turn 5 or 6, I decided to make the first battle vs. Tom on his Rock Plains hex with 2 rubium mine. I had a clear advantage on paper, and losing wasn’t even an option. I have never seen so many 1’s rolled in a single battle. Not only did I not kill his force, I was now nearly exposed to his Rock Striders. The remaining of the game I spend defending myself from Tom and Agnes. They didn’t fight each other at all, so I was under constant pressure from both of them. And with my limited resources (eventually at 9 rubium/turn vs. Tom’s 16 and Agnes’ 12) it was only a matter of time before one of them would eliminate me. It was a time for me to be as defensive as I possibly could (I quickly ran out of Humans).

I was only lucky with my Secret Mission cards, which nearly turned the game around. Even with my defensive strategy, I could coordinate my rather small, but condensed army in a way that resulted in me scoring 9 points total. However, as I was getting ready for my last battle, Tom scored 2 points during his turn, thus winning the game (we played ‘til 10 points).

Overall, it was very enjoyable, and I’m looking forward to our next encounter. Next time, however, I will need a completely new strategy and I have to make sure Tom will have a hard time. Too bad, though, I will always play 2 on 1 with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.