Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the bidding phase, can you bid more mutation points than you have to make your score go negative?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can only bid with points that you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
We play that you cannot bid more points than you have. I don't remember if it is clearly stated in the rulebook or not, but I suspect so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play that too, otherwise it gets silly. I mean it gets silly enough when someone bids all his points in the last round cos he reckons he can't win. But if he could bid more still...

Of course, there is also bidding negative- "I bid -2 for the Fur Gene"...but this too is illegal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Westenra
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently started playing our games with a starting score of 3 (which automatically goes up to 5 in the first turn).

Scenario.
An egg appears in the first round for bidding.
Using the normal rules the first player will probably bid 2 to get it - but no one can take it now and that player has an advantage from then on. And at a cheap price.

With more points at stake at the start, players can bid more heavily in the first round. The early rounds are important to getting a good head start or getting good mutations, as they might never appear later in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
grelb wrote:
I have recently started playing our games with a starting score of 3 (which automatically goes up to 5 in the first turn).

Scenario.
An egg appears in the first round for bidding.
Using the normal rules the first player will probably bid 2 to get it - but no one can take it now and that player has an advantage from then on. And at a cheap price.

With more points at stake at the start, players can bid more heavily in the first round. The early rounds are important to getting a good head start or getting good mutations, as they might never appear later in the game.

Uh?
The game begins with everyone at 10 points (going to 12 in the first "Phase V").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana More
United States
Garden Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Uh?
The game begins with everyone at 10 points (going to 12 in the first "Phase V").

I just played this for the first time two nights ago, and we missed this rule as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Westenra
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
themore5@earthlink wrote:
Quote:
Uh?

I just played this for the first time two nights ago, and we missed this rule as well!

Doh! blush

Well you learn something new every day.
We've played it about 10 times since we bought it a week ago, but we missed this rule the first time and no one has since re-read the rulebook.
We'd better go back an reread all of the rules in case we've missed anything else out.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.