Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Whats up Geeks,

I play 500 Rummy with my girlfriend every-now-and-then....and I need help!

I don't mind losing...but I lose every time!! yuk

Besides remembering every card drawn, delt, and picked up...are there any tips or strategies I should be aware of?

Help!!! soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick up the pile. Pick it up as often as you can. A fist full of cards so you have many options is the best strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a game with heavy strategy.

- Don't throw out cards that match any card already thrown out, whenever possible. E.g. if there is already a 6 in the discrds, don't throw another 6 or the matching 7 or 5. If you have to throw out a match, throw out one that force the other person to collect the whole pile if you think you can go out soon and win all the points in their hand; if not, throw out the one that lets them collect the least amount of cards; this is so that you still have the utility of the cards in the discard for your own use. Of course, try to remember which cards they already have in their hand so that you don't discrad anything that matches. And discard in a way that encourages them to use an ace as a one rather than a set of aces, which are worth more.

- Inside straights are harder to match than outside ones. A three card set, such as 7 - 7 - 8 is the most efficient and offers the most melding opportunities, unless the two card potential straight goes down to ace or up to king.

- Be aware of when you can dump cards on your opponents melds. Especially when you can dump cards on single cards you opponent has added to your melds.

- When given the choice, add the card to a three of a kind rather than a straight unless you have the card that is 1 or 2 cards away from that straight. E.g. if there is a 7 - 7 - 7 and a 10 - 9 - 8 in clubs on the table, and you have the 7 of clubs, prefer to add the 7 to the 7's rather than onto the straight, because your opponent may have the 6 of clubs. If you have the 6 of clubs, or the 5 of clubs, add it to the straight.

- In some cases, you may want to hold off putting melds onto the table if you can wait a little later and go "down and out" all at once. This prevents your opponent from playing cards on your melds.

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.