Popular Tags: [View All]
Rod Fleck
United States
Forks
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 10 yo came up with this variant...

Take an unknown gold piece and place it on the fog bank. Role a d6. That number is the number that if roled when a ship is in the fog, they also get the gold piece for having keen eyes and spotting a piece of floating treasure - assuming they have the cargo space.

arrrh

Hey, I thought it was pretty good for a variant! Dad was proud.

R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Swedlund
United States
Lakeville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it!

Is the die roll to check for keen eyes the same as the die roll to exit the fog? If so, when you first establish the treasure with a die roll, you could place the gold piece on top of the corresponding number printed on the fog bank.

The small incentive this gives to visit a fog bank is an interesting idea. You don't know how much the gold piece is worth, but it's only one piece, so it can't be too game-breaking. And you're guaranteed that it's not a nasty unique treasure.

It gives an additional goal for ships to rush to, other than islands. Additionally, you must suffer at the winds of fortune--will you even find the treasure when you enter the fog? Will your random exit place you in the line of fire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.