Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Kidsley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Long Eaton, Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all, I need some advice from the gaming gods that are here at BGG.

forever playing games with myself the missus and the 10 year old (girl)but would like to include the 8 and 7 year olds if possible (both boys).

The lads normally end up on the dreaded console while we play a board game, but I would love to find games that appeal to them as well.
Must obviously be fun and not too long to keep their attention.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt I class as a god of any description but here goes.

I'm going to pick games that all of you can play. I would also advise lots of shorter games to begin with.

Hick Hack In Gackelwack / Pick Picknic and For Sale should work very well and both can be played pretty quickly. Carcassone Hunters & Gatherers or Alhambra or maybe even Medici might work (but these take a little longer to play - although you should still be able to finish them in an hour).

If the boys are anything like my nephews they will enjoy games with a take-that mechanism. Also card games are always good as they are portable (and usually pretty quick) as well.

I would also throw in a couple of two player games as well - hoping that the two boys will play each other occasionally. Maybe Memoir '44 would be a good choice (I've never played it but others say it works for 7/8 year olds).

In fact there are plenty of geeklists about your very situation see
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darren williams
Wales
maesteg
bridgend
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably a predictable answer but i have to say carcassonne. try and get the farmer rules across but if not i still think the game works without them, it looks good on the table is quick and i gaurantee its not always the grown ups win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Verflixxt! (That's Life)
Pirate's Cove
StreetSoccer
Cloud 9
Ticket to Ride
Diamant
Zapp Zerrapp

... to name but a few that our kids enjoy (girl 11, boy 6)

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I'd add Hey, that's my fish! and Dragonland into the pile of possibilities.

If they're not too squeamish, maybe also Fearsome Floors (which I can't stand, but my 10/11 year olds like).

In my experience, its not so much the length of a game that matters, but downtime - after all, they'll happily spend hours playing video games given the chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kidsley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Long Eaton, Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions thus far, I will take a look. Downtime is indeed an important factor and one I must take into account.

Carcassonne seems to crop up on alot of lists, methinks its about time to pick it up (hunters and gatherers seems to be a good version)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Leventhal
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I have to suggest heroscape too. I can't believe it appears so few times on this list actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kidsley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Long Eaton, Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must add, I do have heroscape and it is indeed a great game with either simple or more involved rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've got a 10 year old daughter, and 8 year old son, and they gravitate towards fantasy themed stuff, since that is what they read. So they like Runebound, Arkham Horror, Return of the Heroes, etc. But these are all long involved games that require patience.

I think you have to limit time on the console. If it's between a boardgame and a console game, they will likely pick the console every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Walmart edition of Knizia's Loot! (formerly Korsar) is a fun, light game that's only $5.00

My six year old kicked me to the curb last night, when playing with my visiting father.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
The Walmart edition of Knizia's Loot!

Walmart doesn't have its own edition. It sells the Gamewright edition that can be bought at many different locations.

It is indeed a good family game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
JonnieK wrote:
Hello all, I need some advice from the gaming gods that are here at BGG.

forever playing games with myself the missus and the 10 year old (girl)but would like to include the 8 and 7 year olds if possible (both boys).

The lads normally end up on the dreaded console while we play a board game, but I would love to find games that appeal to them as well.
Must obviously be fun and not too long to keep their attention.

Thanks in advance.

Someone was just asking about handicapping games for his 5 year old son, and most of those would be fine for this age group without handicapping:

TICKET TO RIDE and TICKET TO RIDE: EUROPE
TRANSAMERICA/TRANSEUROPE
MEMOIR '44
NEXUS OPS

The card game KUNG FU FIGHTING is a fun, lighthearted 'take that!' style game.

As long as I'm veering into card games, 6 NIMMT/CATEGORY 5, COLORETTO, KING'S BREAKFAST, BOHNANZA, and COUNTING ZZZ'S are all about right for kids.

I'd think INGENIOUS should work well, though you might want to simplify scoring just a bit.

And to second some previous recommends: FEARSOME FLOORS and PIRATE'S COVE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've asked very similar questions in the past:

Good luck!

I'm starting to realize that I need to start playing "main stream" games with them, because they're getting burned out on my games. They want games that their friends are playing.

Bang! is a big hit with my kids. Attacktix, although more a toy than a game, continues to be a requested game.

My daughter(6) likes Enchanted Forest, Gulo Gulo, Apples to Apples and Smarty Party, with the Junior Expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davebo wrote:
I'm starting to realize that I need to start playing "main stream" games with them, because they're getting burned out on my games. They want games that their friends are playing.

FWIW, we've had good luck approaching the same problem from the opposite direction -- i.e. teach their friends your games. In general, the reaction has been "wow, these are so much better."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romigh
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A game my kids want to play every time I announce we're gaming tonight is Blokus...my 5 year old plays it and does pretty darn good.

Ticket to Ride is another good one, our 10 year old girl really likes it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
ticket to ride will be great for them. simple game with a lot of thinking and a lot of train

also a lot of avalon hill games ( www.avalonhill.com ) are good for little kids although its really about what the kids like...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kidsley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Long Eaton, Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. You have thrown up some great suggestions and I will be looking to obtain a few in the weeks ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.