Subject: GeekMod Beta and Nash equilibrium rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miikka Rytty
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was idly wondering about the new system for the GeekMod Beta and for some reason I started to think it as a game since it has rewards and punishments. Anyway, I'm not saying that the system is bad, but it might have issues if it is too strict.

So I was wondering that could Nash equilibriums develop ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_equilibrium ) when approving/declining images that are in the grey area? (not obvious that they should be approved or declined)

Let say that majority of geeks were leniently letting new images to get into the database. Then my 'optimal strategy' would be voting for approval when in doubt. Doing otherwise would just hurt my prospects (not getting GeekGold and even getting banned). And vice versa. So the rating system might lead into Nash Equilibriums (either voting for all the time when in doubt or voting against all the time when in doubt) in which changing 'the strategy' would only hurt 'the player'. In the extreme case it would end up with all the dissident voters getting banned from voting.

This is just food for thought. I'm a math student but I have never had a course about game theory, so I might be very wrong about my concept of Nash Equilibrium. Also I'm not sure that if the assumption of 'rational players' is valid in these conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Note that you can simply opt for the "skip-this-image" button when in doubt and earn your GeekCents voting for (or against) more "obvious" images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.