United States
Simsbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you use all 8 characters in a game? I know that 4 start on the starting line, but do the others get placed in rooms and revealed later? Once revealed are they activated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sass
United States
Akron
Ohio [OH]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes you use all 8. The other 4 are hidden in the rooms with your gear. Yes they are active when they are revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shepherd
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? When we played, the rules said you place the tokens, but nothing about activating the characters exactly. We thought they were just there as "chaff" to disguise which tokens were items and which tokens were characters (neutral tokens).

You USE all eight? That changes things. Radically. Yikes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Yes, you're in for a different game entirely if you've only been using the four on your starting line. Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Clark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my #1 question after reading the rules as well. But, the answer here confuses me more (perhaps I am not fully awake yet).

So the begining of the game you set four characters on your starting line. Then on the upside down room tiles you place the tokens, to me this sounded like the pit and the sword and stuff like that (also making me ask how does a portcolis get put into play?). Then when the room is revealed the opposite player of the color places the tokens.

But, let me see if I understand what you are saying above. You place any token type face down in the begining, new characters, (portculis?), items, and hazards and all the like. Then when the room is revealed the opposite player places them. But how does this really work since each tile is limited to two or three tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
IndyCC wrote:
This was my #1 question after reading the rules as well. But, the answer here confuses me more (perhaps I am not fully awake yet).

So the begining of the game you set four characters on your starting line. Then on the upside down room tiles you place the tokens, to me this sounded like the pit and the sword and stuff like that (also making me ask how does a portcolis get put into play?). Then when the room is revealed the opposite player of the color places the tokens.

But, let me see if I understand what you are saying above. You place any token type face down in the begining, new characters, (portculis?), items, and hazards and all the like. Then when the room is revealed the opposite player places them. But how does this really work since each tile is limited to two or three tokens?

The tokens you place in the rooms at game start are your 4 remaining characters and six items. The portcullises and hazards are part of the room, and are pictured on the room tile.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
This one threw me too, it really should have been clarified. When you purchase the game you tend to see the plastic stands on the rear of the box so assume they're an inherent part of the game. In actual fact they're optional. My copy of the game only came with 10 stands creating even more confusion. There could potentially be 16 characters on the board at once so why so few stands?

Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 3 of the rules under the "Contents" heading it says the Tokens are all the disk-shaped counters matching your color (8 Characters and 6 objects for each player).

On page 4 under the heading "Placing the remaining tokens" the tokens you are placing include the 4 characters that are not part of your starting team.

Page 5 under "Reveal a room" explains how to place tokens in a revealed room. This includes character tokens.

b5mith wrote:
My copy of the game only came with 10 stands creating even more confusion. There could potentially be 16 characters on the board at once so why so few stands?
Ben

You should contact Asmodee for the missing stands. I have the base set and the first 2 expansions. Each one has come with 16 stands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Norris

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly what I was wondering. I combed the rules several times trying to figure it out. My friend and I definatly played our first game incorrectly, seems to me like getting 5vp would be to easy, but I will have to play again the right way before I make any judgements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Olofsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
So when you reveal a room. Do your opponent place your characters too? Or do you do that yourself, and your opponent just places the items?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yorkeh wrote:
So when you reveal a room. Do your opponent place your characters too? Or do you do that yourself, and your opponent just places the items?

Thank you

The player revealing the room places:

ALL characters
All items of their opponent's color.

If, for example, I reveal a room and it has your Troll, my Thief and my Rope, I'll place the Troll and the Thief and you will place the Rope.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bumping to front page because I made the same mistake. The rules are clear, but presentation order and emphasis makes it appear as if you have to pick four out of the eight characters and that is all you get. It also doesn't help that the four are placed on a strip called the STARTING LINE, which also serves to make it seem like those are the only four you get. I have found that it helps if you think of the back four as the reinforcements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.