Spain
Madrid
MADRID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BBF-1 BULK FREIGHER

*The BBF-1 "Blue Belle" medium freighter

I must admit I'm very nostalgic about the old X-Wing and Tie Fighter PC games... that's why I've made some old ships inspired in their counterparts in the games to be used in the new miniatures game.
I went for the containers and the DX9 Storm Trooper transport too... but this time it's the turn for the BBF-1 Bulk Freigher.

The BBF-1 is nothing but a bunch of avionics and crew facilities attached to a hyperspeed engine and having four standard Class A containers to its sides.
The result is a cheap bulk freighter used in almost every supplies facility throughout the galaxy.

The good thing about this model is that you can use the ship as is, or attach 2 or 4 containers to the sides... If you opt for a painting scheme like I do, the side pannels (used to attach and cover the bottom of the containers) are really good looking by themselves.

This ship is BIG and sadly so is the price for printing it at shapeways... the good news are that I've managed to reduce a lot the cost for the containers, removing many material from the inside without touching the outside details!!

If you already own some of my containers, you can use them in this ship either. The docking points are compatible with the new thinner containers and the old ones... if you combine them I recomend using two of the old ones on the front pylons and two of the new ones on the back pylons, as older containers are not inserted as deep as the new ones.

Last but not least... if you want to aquire this ship you can order a printing at Shapeways store here:

You will find there the ship alone, a bundle of four containers and separately the 8x8cm base (as big as Falcon's and Slave I bases) and another bundle with bases for the ship and the four separate containers.

For some reason (I was not able to find why) It is cheaper to get them separately, I tryed to make a bundle with ship, containers and bases but total price was bigger that way soblue

I'll post soon the base counter and rules for the ship... they're going to be very similar to Senator's Shuttle but will have a little more hull, will move only at speed one forward instead of speed two (speed two is too much for the Senator Shuttle scenario) and special rules will apply too. Stay tunned for the card and counter sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is beautiful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crazy nerd, you are...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Klöckner
Germany
Ulmen
MYK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice!
I have your 4 Containers and 2 DX9....very cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job! :)

Do the official ship tokens fit on your bases? I'm especially wondering about the Falcon and Slave I tokens (and thus your 80x80mm bases), as I still need to decide on a base for my YT-2000...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's just...wow.

GORGEOUS work on that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
That is amazing. I'm absolutely blown away that the containers are able to be attached and removed from the freighter. I'm definitely going to need one of these for some missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Superb work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Hidalgo
Spain
Madrid
MADRID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all your comments!

I managed to make the containers printing cheaper reducing a lot of material but the ship itself with the 4 containers is still a bit overpriced... I got one becouse I'm too freak not to have a BBF1 on the board (even if this one is an extremelly free adaptation).

The BBF1 is supposed to be using longer side containers not detachable... but it seems to be a great idea to use just two of the existing ones and make them detachable keeping the gorgeous looking of the ship even without them.

Laserschwert wrote:
Do the official ship tokens fit on your bases? I'm especially wondering about the Falcon and Slave I tokens (and thus your 80x80mm bases), as I still need to decide on a base for my YT-2000...

The peg where the ship is attached doesn't fit the original series, I did that on purpose as for the starfighters the piece is too small and material tolerances probably won't work well with it.

About the counter, right now it will fit the base but it'll be too loose!! I'm going to correct that (it has about 1mm tolerance!!) to make them more game compliant. Give me 30 minutes and I'll upload the new versions (I made the bases before the release of wave2)

Working on it right now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Mendoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The entire grouping is in my wish list now! I'll need to save up for this puppy! Great work!!!! Love the my shuttle and the stands I've gotten so far!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Hidalgo
Spain
Madrid
MADRID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Done! now the 8x8 bases (single one, the two-base bundle and the whole 1+4 bundle) are right to the token sizes... I removed some useless material in the 6x4 bases and the 8x8 bases, but 8x8 raised the price a bit as the hole in the tokes is bigger and needs a bigger ring not to be loose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay -- that looks great and I love the modularosity!

Sadly, I have no gaming budget til further notice. (If anyone is wondering how sequestration will affect the US economy, this is it. The first round of layoffs are hitting now, and they're not going to stop anytime in the forseeable future.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unliar wrote:
Done! now the 8x8 bases (single one, the two-base bundle and the whole 1+4 bundle) are right to the token sizes... I removed some useless material in the 6x4 bases and the 8x8 bases, but 8x8 raised the price a bit as the hole in the tokes is bigger and needs a bigger ring not to be loose.

Perfect, thanks!

Is there a chance you could share the 3D data of the sockets you're using on your ships? I'd like to add it to my Y-2000 to work with your stands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Hidalgo
Spain
Madrid
MADRID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Laserschwert wrote:
Is there a chance you could share the 3D data of the sockets you're using on your ships? I'd like to add it to my Y-2000 to work with your stands.

Base attachment socket is not very fancy (no need for 3D file) it is just a 3.5mm diameter rod.
What model are you using for the YT2000? If you're going to purchase some bases just tell me which ones and the diameter/shape/size of your model attachment and I can upload a custom rod for your ship

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unliar wrote:
What model are you using for the YT2000?

Mine ;) http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1597255/laserschwert

So just to be sure, 3.5mm is the diameter of the peg, right? So the inner diameter of the socket will have to be that as well (or slightly bigger). In that case I think that should be enough for me - no need for a custom made one. But thanks for the offer :)

Did you have any problem of your ships (especially the bigger ones, like the bulk freighter) accidentally rotating on the peg? I guess the WSF material is rough enough to prevent this though. On the other hand I'm getting the YT-2000 printed in Frosted Detail, so who knows...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Hidalgo
Spain
Madrid
MADRID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Laserschwert wrote:
So just to be sure, 3.5mm is the diameter of the peg, right? So the inner diameter of the socket will have to be that as well (or slightly bigger). In that case I think that should be enough for me - no need for a custom made one. But thanks for the offer
Did you have any problem of your ships (especially the bigger ones, like the bulk freighter) accidentally rotating on the peg? I guess the WSF material is rough enough to prevent this though. On the other hand I'm getting the YT-2000 printed in Frosted Detail, so who knows...

Yes, diameter of the peg is 3.5mm and I made it with no tolerances, I prefer having to sand a bit the peg instead of getting a wobbly piece
Material tolerances are bigger with the cheaper WSF, and Black material is just White painted so it get some more volume due to the paint layer.

The peg is 3,5mm becouse game pegs (for fighters) are 3,5mm too. So if you want to use an original base with one of the DX9 (for example) you just cut the smaller tip of the peg and you can use it (the original pegs are pretty irregular, they go from 3,3mm to 3,5mm).

So, I've no problem about ships rotating on the base, not even the BBF1, maybe with the use it'll take some tolerance, but the peg goes into the ship tight enough... maybe later I'll glue a magnet on both, peg and ship, to use it more easy... probably will do the same with the original fighters as soon as my pegs break

About your model... it looks great! If you didn't build anything for Shapeways yet here they are my two cents: Make sure you remove as much material as you can... keep walls from 1 to 1,5mm and you'll get a cheaper yet great model. If you're going to print it in frosted detail every single cubic milimeter counts!
I highly recomend using Netfab during modelling to make sure nothing goes wrong and keep the volume controlled.

I hope that helps you a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unliar wrote:
If you didn't build anything for Shapeways yet here they are my two cents: Make sure you remove as much material as you can... keep walls from 1 to 1,5mm and you'll get a cheaper yet great model. If you're going to print it in frosted detail every single cubic milimeter counts!
I highly recomend using Netfab during modelling to make sure nothing goes wrong and keep the volume controlled.

I hope that helps you a bit. :)

Thanks, but yeah, I've built some stuff for Shapeways already. The YT-2000 is completely hollow (with 1mm wall thickness in most parts), roughly 110mm in length and would cost about $33 in WSF (around $60 in Frosted Detail) - it will be a bit more once the peg socket is on there. I doubt there's more material to remove from it though.

Netfab is really good advice though, I've used it for the first time on the YT-2000 and it really help fixing mesh errors and the likes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Brown
Australia
Ballarat
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow the bbf1 and the yt2000 both look great, I'm curious on the yt2000 but what's your secret for adding the detail and mainly the panels? I use max as well and have always struggled with that, especially adding in panels like that on smooth or rounded surfaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Case
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeze - those things look amazing! I'll have to see about picking up a freighter set in a couple of paydays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hyland
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered one of these with some other goodies from your store. Awesome work. Where can I get a movement card and/or ship token for the base of the BBF1.
I suppose I can slowly try to create my own. Although I'm not sure where to look for tips on keeping the ship balanced (I wouldn't want a green k-turn 1 maneuver on the dial, I'm sure).
Does the BBF1 have any defensive lasers or does it just run through space hoping to not get boarded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Hidalgo
Spain
Madrid
MADRID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Linadan03 wrote:
Where can I get a movement card and/or ship token for the base of the BBF1.

HI there Drew!! Thank you very much for your printing!! The counter is here (300dpi):

I know you've already found it! but I'm linking it here for future references.

Again, thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul carre55
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
hi id love to have a go at doubleing the size of this on my own printer as the one i have from shapeways is great but just not as imposing as the new tantave iv and rebel transport
is there any chance you would be willing to share the 3d file
cheers
paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.