Subject: Campaigns in real time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Yarto
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Raining down board gaming fun since 1985!
badge
Play DVG's Field Commander Nimitz!
mbmbmbmbmb
We just got this game over the weekend and I normally tend to jump right into the campaign game with solitaire games that offer them. But even the shortest campaign in the game, Red Sun Rising, has about 80 submarines potentially running their own patrols! I may need 12-months to play this campaign that historically is played in one year (1942). Does anyone have any advice to speed up the gameplay? One patrol from one submarine is a game to itself (as evidenced by the many patrol scenarios offered) and could last 30 minutes on it's own. I can't imagine running 100+ patrols for this or any campaign without it taking a tremendous amount of time.surprise

Other than that, great looking game with a wonderful strategic and tactical feel all at the same time. Perhaps somone can come with a digital version of Silent War that will automate the Operations Segment (particularly serach/combat), thus leaving the strategic decisions of the campaign to the player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
I feel quite good about what happened
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a "quick combat" rule in the game which may speed things up.

I cant comment on the campaign game yet havent tried it. I am really enjoying myself playing patrols right now though. Slotting in a couple of 30 min patrols a night is really fun.

Its definetly a meaty solo game. The rules are also clear and short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Destrier
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
There will be a few "shorter" campaigns put up on the Compass Website soon- but be aware- from day one and through out its development from 1998 we have always warned that its a monster game in terms of its main campaign. It's a tool to study a submarine campaign with and that in and of itself is a major undertaking.

Brien J Miller
Designer
Silent War
Compass Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konwacht
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it! (Well, there could be a bit less of that ever-dice-rolling... ^.^)

Usually I need two afternoons after getting home from work to play one week (or one game turn). That is about 3 to 4 hours. Moving 30+ submarines and rolling all the way through events, encounters, duration etc. ... taht takes time It´s a simulation not a real game.

I use a special board where I have mounted the game and the counters which can be moved from our gaming table when I´m not geeking on silent war

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Simms
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
One trick I found to speed things up a little is to roll the attack dice before drawing the TDC's.

Working on the assumption that you are going to make one shot at your best possible target, seeing this dice roll will give you a feel for if you are even going to come close to hitting. With early war and bad torps any dice roll over a 5 is highly unlikely to hit even with a good TDC mod so you can just cut to the chase and roll for counter attack.

If you really want to slim down you can make the attack roll before you even draw and flip the ship chits although you are removing the chance for 'Combat Events' if you do that. Abstracting the counter attack roll once you get a feel for how dangerous an area you are in and how the table works can also speed things up. (ie, '6 in an area with 1 red box... that's going to miss... oh an 8, hmmm, better work that one out properly')

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.