Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Evans
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A strange session. My daughter, aged 7, likes this game. In fact, she often wants to play 1 on 1 before bed. Her game has three facets:

1) She loves to have the witch. She never plays the black coin. "That's mean!"
2) She will bid all her gold (or nearly all of it) on any special card that is halfway cool (Doppleganger, rainbow dragon, etc).
3) She is untroubled by anything so mundane as points and winning. Her goal is to collect all of the Dragonstones. She would happily play until the end of time.

Her unsuspecting Uncle Richie showed up Sunday morning, and we played a few rounds. I explained the rules, and the futility of trying to let my daughter win. It was basically a one on one game with this strage wildcard.

In the last round, Richie was pushing to win the game with the Sorcerer. He had the 4 stones, and the Ghost was also in the auction deck. If the Sorcerer came before the Ghost, I was sunk unless I guessed right.

My daughter got the witch. No sense throwing good money away trying to beat her out on the witch. I opt to hope the ghost comes up first, and then I can use reserves to beat him out on the Sorcerer. Second card up is the Sorcerer. I know I can't beat him twice, so I talk up my bid hoping that he will bid nothing. He goes all in. Game over .. except my daughter has finally decided to play the black coin. Two turns later I win with the wizard.

Don't forget about the kids. Just when you think they don't know what's going on ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mbmb
It's simple to understand: she was helping her daddy. Playing the "black coin" isn't mean at all, under those circumstances.

The only drawback to this session report (adorable story aside) is that I don't own this game. It's hard for me to follow what you're talking about in several places. Ghosts...sorcerors...wizard. I assume those are different paths to victory.

Thanks for sharing, anyway. A game that seven year-old loves to play is always a good find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that is a drawback in your collection, not in the text!laugh

My collection has the same drawback but I followed the report fine. How long would session reports have to be if for each one the author had to explain the game rules to his audience?

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.