Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Date: January 15th, 2006

Game: Amun-Re

Player: Valdir (myself)

I have played this game once, it was at least three years ago and the memories had all faded away. I only remembered that although it involved bidding (a mechanic that I'm not too fond of), I had liked it a lot. When visiting my FLGS during Boxing Week this past December, I found the German edition going by only Can$ 20. As there is no text in the cards and other components, it was an easy decision to buy it.

I printed the rules translation available here on BGG and today I decided to read it through while playing a few rounds solo to get a good grasp of the rules. I intend to play this at the next meeting of the Montreal Boardgaming Meetup Group, that's why I wanted to learn this well.

I did the first round without using the power cards, I just wanted to learn what was the basic flow of the game. Before beginning the second round I read the explanation of all the power cards and was then able to play them in each of the phases of the second and third round.

I aborted the game at the end of the Old Kingdom, right after having done the scoring. The scores were pretty wild with one colour getting close to twenty points while another had managed only two points (for two pyramids) and the other two colours somewhere in between. Of course my actions during the game had been pretty random, I wasn't pursuing any specific strategy, I just wanted to see how the game played, but I was surprised to see such a difference in scoring. For a real game I'll have to watch out in order not to be shot out of contention.

The game seemed confusing to me, even for a gamer's game. This is the type of game that you won't really get a good hold of until at least your third session, there are too many rules and ways to break them. You need all the player aids you can find to play this one...

At night, after I had finished my solo session, someone here on BGG proposed a game of Amun-Re at the Spiel by Web site (http://www.spielbyweb.com/), so I jumped right in, it will be a good learning experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.