Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Conrad
England
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologise if people feel this is a tenuous games thread. I will remove it if there is enough opposition, but please bear with me.

A friend of mine, who has been collecting and playing games for 55+ years, has finally agreed to go onto the internet - almost entirely on the strength of my raving about BGG. He currently gets all his gaming news from a home-produced monthly magazine. He's gonna be knocked out! And he's going to be a regular poster of threads, files, images, and the odd new (old) game.

Anyway, here's where y'all come in. I want to make his internet (and by extension BGG) experience as easy and safe as possible, but I have a PC and know little about his Apple Mac on OS X+. As many of you Geekers are in the States where Macs are more prolific, I was hoping you would/could help.

Can anyone suggest an effective (preferable free) anti-virus / firewall programme for Mac OS X+.

While we're there, can anyone suggest a site for online games written for Mac?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Firewall is built into Mac OS X (under system preferences -> Sharing). As far as Viruses (virii?) go: there are currently no mac os x viruses "in the wild". I have personally been going "commando" on my plucky macs for the past.... 13 years without encountering a virus yet. On the off chance you want to cover your ass in case someone hypothetically were to create a havok wreaking mac virus, I THINK I've heard good things about Virex (but don't quote me on that one)....

I also BELIEVE virex is included for free in a .mac subscription but I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norton Anti-virus for Mac OS X

DT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG seems to work better with Firefox rather than Safari or IE, so make sure your buddy is using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
Saint Charles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have problems with BGG on Safari...but who knows, maybe I'm missing something!

Surf with confidence on a Mac; I've been using Macs to go online for ten years and no viruses yet.

However, there was the autoplay worm in '98 which was transmitted mainly via Zip disk (in the printing/advertising community it was at least). Though that was way back when. OS 8, maybe 9. I digress!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dean,
I have a couple of questions.

1. When are you bringing your friend to Beyond Monopoly!, York's best game club? Next meet is this Saturday.
http://www.bmyork.pbwiki.com/
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/57583

2. When are you going to make a video for schools about the revolution in board games?

Cheers,
Jon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luminous wrote:
I don't have problems with BGG on Safari...but who knows, maybe I'm missing something!

Surf with confidence on a Mac; I've been using Macs to go online for ten years and no viruses yet.

However, there was the autoplay worm in '98 which was transmitted mainly via Zip disk (in the printing/advertising community it was at least). Though that was way back when. OS 8, maybe 9. I digress!

mmm, protection through obscurity.
As noted in the other messages in this thread, you shouldn't be too concerned about viruses on a mac. While there may be one or two out there, you quite frankly have better odds of winning the lottery, getting a date with Jennifer Aniston (and getting lucky), and surviving a nuclear holocaust at ground zero, all in the same day.

I do second the recommend on firefox.
As for firewall, again as stated above, it is in the system programs by default.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:

mmm, protection through obscurity.
As noted in the other messages in this thread, you shouldn't be too concerned about viruses on a mac. While there may be one or two out there, you quite frankly have better odds of winning the lottery, getting a date with Jennifer Aniston (and getting lucky)...

devil

See this article from the BBC on Mac users and malware:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4609968.stm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure you might think me a a silly sod Dean, but I love it when you Brits say things like "Programme".

And now for something completely different....

I wouldn't sweat any issues with Macs. It's Aldie (one of our glorious benefactors) comp of choice (as is per obvious in his geebadge "apple bitch"). I might even e-mail him, and ask his opinions. He's done alot of programming, espescially web programming, so I'm sure he's up on web security issues, especially those effecting Apple PC's.

P.S. - Apologise for nothing. Your questions are poignant, and as worthwhile as any others here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
By the way, scratch my recommendation. Not only is virex not free with .mac anymore. And it seems to well, suck. Nice way to mess up your system.

Never used Norton on a mac but, I have a powerful lot of hate for Norton on Windows (causes almost as many problems as it prevents IMO) so I wouldn't be too gung ho about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkey Thong wrote:
By the way, scratch my recommendation. Not only is virex not free with .mac anymore. And it seems to well, suck. Nice way to mess up your system.

Never used Norton on a mac but, I have a powerful lot of hate for Norton on Windows (causes almost as many problems as it prevents IMO) so I wouldn't be too gung ho about it.

On all of my Art director's Macs I run Norton Antivirus and Firefox.

They hate Safari and IE is no longer supported. Norton was a problem before OSX, but they don't complain about the new version as much. Firewall software is not needed.

I have not seen a Mac Virus in over 18 months. I see PC viruses every week.

DT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Norton AntiVirus is a hideous, bloated program on both Mac and PC. I go "au natural" on my Macs and use AntiVir on my PCs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Norton AntiVirus is a hideous, bloated program on both Mac and PC. I go "au natural" on my Macs and use AntiVir on my PCs.

I switched from Windows to Mac a few years ago and now have a Mac in my job too (for more than 3 years).

Never regreted the switch, never encountered a virus.

But one thing as others said before: My own experience: Stay away from Norton, avoid it on a Mac. Otherwise you might encounter some strange "occurences" on your Mac that might remind you at your Windows - past.

I don't want to start a "Software-War-Belief-System-Thing" but I had Norton on an older Mac and after de-installing it (which meant: initalize Hard-drive and install the OS X new I encountered less problems, freezes and anomalities (right word?) than with this "system-protecting-tool (Antivirus & Firewall).

But maybe I'm just dumb... blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Conrad
England
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW. Fantastic response in, err... 8 hours.

Now THAT is why my friend should be on BGG. Plus he's a night-owl, so - unlike me - he'll be talking the you American Geekers live. He's gonna love it!

Thank you ALL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Conrad
England
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
I'm sure you might think me a a silly sod Dean, but I love it when you Brits say things like "Programme".

Actually, locusshifter, it's 'Program' for computers here too. I made a mistake in my haste to get my message out. 'Programme' is usually reserved for TV shows and booklets one buys at the theatre - or is that theater?!

Thanks for your kind comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Conrad
England
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkey Thong wrote:
As far as Viruses (virii?) go: there are currently no mac os x viruses "in the wild". I have personally been going "commando" on my plucky macs for the past.... 13 years without encountering a virus yet.

As a beleaguered PC user, I am amazed. Perhaps I should switch to Mac!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Conrad
England
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
BGG seems to work better with Firefox rather than Safari or IE, so make sure your buddy is using it.

I use Firefox for PC with great success. I've just downloaded the OS X version for my friend. He can take a look alongside Safari.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Conrad
England
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Dean... When are you bringing your friend to Beyond Monopoly!, York's best game club? Next meet is this Saturday.

Thanks, we'd love to! Some issues there though. I will e-mail you.

EYE of NiGHT wrote:
When are you going to make a video for schools about the revolution in board games?

Someone's been doing their homework!

Hope to meet you soon.
Dean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Conrad
England
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Cheers,
Jon.

Hey! How did you get a St George flag and I get stuck with a Union Flag?
Can I change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuuli Mustasydän
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Setting your location to England should do the trick

Dean Conrad wrote:
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Cheers,
Jon.

Hey! How did you get a St George flag and I get stuck with a Union Flag?
Can I change?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Click on My Geek at the top menu bar to bring up your profile. The second box is Your Details, which shows your Location. Click the little edit tag, and change from the UK to England. Your flag will update, but things are cahced, so it might take a while to actually show the cahneg. Now march around the house singing Land Of Hope & Glory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has pretty much been well covered by the above, but I'll add a few bits.

Firewall:

Apple Menu (Upper Left) -> System Preferences -> Sharing -> Firewall tab

Just click the start button. You can customize the firewall from there as well. Unless your friend has turned certain services on in OS X, a firewall typically isn't needed (OS X comes with everything off by default). If your friend is going to be using a router as well, the OS X firewall could conflict with the routers firewall. Something to consider.

Anti-VIrus:

I'd skip this. Sure if a virus comes out it can potentially sweep through the mac community. But the chance that a new virus will even be detected by the current virus scanners is also in question. The main problem with the anti-virus software is that installing it can lead to one or more of the following: system performance degradation, data corruption, and full system crashes.

As a mac tech at a major CSU, where anti-virus is required in order to be allowed on the campus network, it's not a pretty site. Perfectly normal systems (some with clean installs) are brought down by the good ol' virus scanner.

I'd teach your friend good backup practice instead, since that applies online and offline. And backing up and restoring a mac is very very easy.

Browser:

Both safari and firefox work fine with BGG. Firefox is overall faster on the site. And it seems if you're a power browser (like me) and have 10 to 20 tabs/windows open on the site, safari does slow down quite a bit.

Online Games:

Are your talking about online versions of board games? If so there's lots of java based ones that work fine. You might consider searching the geeklists and forums (and if finding none, create one) where others can submit entries. I know of a few, but being at work on break, my bookmarks are far from reach.

Switching to Mac:

Play with your friends system. You'll only lose access to some of the hottest latest games if you switch to mac (most everything else exists on the mac, with the exception of stuff like custom medical, dental, business, and law software), but when it comes to stability and ease of use, mac is a great choice for a home system. I switched 6 years ago and don't regret it yet, although overall hardware quality has gone down with the price of the machines.

Take care!

jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[off topic warning]

And what is wrong with the Union Jack, may I ask?

Of course, I'd prefer the EU flag, but that is another story

[end off topic warning]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Conrad
England
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
[off topic extension warning]

Philip Thomas wrote:
[off topic warning]

And what is wrong with the Union Jack, may I ask?

Of course, I'd prefer the EU flag, but that is another story

[end off topic warning]

Nothing wrong with the Union Jack; it's the Union Flag I have a problem with. Don't get me started on the West Lothian question.

[end of off topic extension warning]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Conrad
England
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff,

All that is VERY helpful, thanks.

My friend in not really very computer literate, but I will try my best to steer him in the right direction.

Regards
Dean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.