Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Alexander
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[Note - this list is cribbed directly from "http://halhaag.home.comcast.net/haagflux.htm"]

FLUXX STRATEGIES:

"It is a dark and dangerous game that requires a strategy that most people would find too difficult to keep track of."
--Anonymous

Jazzfish has some tips for new players:

Know the Cards. Know the Cards. Know the Cards. I cannot stress this enough.

If you've got a winning combo, crank it up to Play as high as possible.
Final Card Random is your friend now as well.

If you get Take Another Turn, use it immediately. You may not still have it next round.

Hand Limits are nobody's friend. Don't use them unless your hand is 'really really good.'

When in doubt, play another Keeper.

Accept that sometimes you just can't win.
(In the last round of the finals, a guy had to choose between leaving The Brain (No TV) and All You Need is Love as the goal, in the first round of play. Tough call. He went with AYNIL, which I think would have been my choice, on the grounds that people will have only one chance to get Love in play; if they play another Keeper instead, they're out of the running for it. There's good arguments for Brain No TV as well, though.)

Frances, whose tag line is "I'd rather be a perky sort of evil" has another strategy tip:

Know your opponents.

I introduced some of my (non-gamer) co-workers to Fluxx. Knowing that one of them will always play a hand limit if he gets it - with preference given to the Hand Limit 0 - affects how we play.

For example, at one largish game, when I played Everybody Gets One, I handed him the Hand Limit 0. And I gave someone playing after him a really useful card. (They never got to play it.

And Hand Limits & Keeper Limits are definitely your friends when someone else is close to the 10 Cards in Hand or the 5 Keepers & those goals haven't been played yet.

Bear Barrow suggests:

Pay *very* close attention to what has already gone to the trash.

You might not be able to Pilfer that special card if it's down in the discard pile too far - but knowing that your opponent no longer has it.....

Steve Hoffman suggests:

My personal strategy is too get "card advantage" as soon as possible and keep it as long as possible!

If you play draw five then end your turn by trashing the draw rule, you'll gain an edge.

More cards, more options, more edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
None of these is strategy. Tactics, maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
The best strategy in Fluxx seems to be one that works for life as well: set a goal that matches what you have, rather than the other way around

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/18928

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
None of these is strategy. Tactics, maybe.

That's right! BEAT THAT SEMANTIC DRUM, BABY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Call a spade a spade. The difference between strategy and tactics is far from semantic.

Strategy indicates that you could plan a way of playing before the game that effected the outcome.

Doing the right thing at a given time is tactics.

So keep beating the being a jackass drum and invest in a dictionary.

There is no strategy to Fluxx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
The best strategy in Fluxx seems to be one that works for life as well: set a goal that matches what you have, rather than the other way around

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/18928

This is a strategy. Not particularly deep, granted, but strategy nonetheless. There is strategy in Fluxx, and this is it.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the strategy is to use whatever is best at the time to win? Well, that is a simple and succint strategy. It is also exactly how I would play the game with zero forethought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
So the strategy is to use whatever is best at the time to win? Well, that is a simple and succint strategy. It is also exactly how I would play the game with zero forethought.

Isn't that the strategy in Chess? We could take any game and display its strategies as a single statement, however many levels deeper it is than Fluxx. On that basis alone you cannot dismiss a game as having no strategy; most if not all games can be played with zero forethought - with varying levels of success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The amount of strategy in Fluxx is inversely proportionate to the number of players.

Two player Fluxx is a genuine battle of wits, bluffing, reading your opponent, and planning ahead. In fact, in two player fluxx you should be going for the 10 cards in hand goal. Why this goal? Because attempting to reach it makes it more likely you will get it, so there is a certain "synergy". The more cards you can get and the faster you can get them, the more likely you can obtain this goal. Of course your strategy should also revolve around keeping cards out of your opponents hand (a favored trick being playing a hand limit 0 and then discarding it). Of course you should not overlook obvious other methods of victory that may appear to you, but in my hundreds of games of two player fluxx this is what I have learned.

Playing with more players, however, this strategy becomes impossible. Handlimits will be played more often, giving you less chance to accumulate the necessary amount of cards. There are of course things you can do, tactics I believe, such as recognizing all of the possible goals and sabotaging your opponents from getting them. Also it is absolutely necessary that you win all at once. If you fear a hand limit then you should put down as many combos as you can so your opponents won't know which goal, if any, you have. Unfortunately in my experience even if you do this very well against opponents who play very poorly, you still won't get that much of an advantage against a large field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.