Subject: Phoenix Games - Ann Arbor, MI rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Pack
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Does anyone know what happened to Phoenix Games down on 4th avenue in Ann Arbor, Michigan? I drove by it the other night and the location was empty.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ersatz Ursatz
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I went by there this morning and noticed that they were gone. I don't think they did very well. It was always pretty empty when I went by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phoenix closed a week ago tomorrow. The problems were manifold:

1. Started with too much debt carried over from the closing of the Hobbytown franchise on Ann Arbor-Saline Rd.
2. Opened in one of the relative 'dead zones' economically in the city- little foot traffic and not much contact with the student population.
3. Signed on with a slumlord building owner, who refused to fix the air conditioning when it died in May and the plate glass window in the front (safety hazard).
4. Failed to do almost any advertising or promotion so that much of the gaming community didn't even know it was there until it had already passed the point-of-no-return with vendors (like GW and Alliance), so that when they had discovered its existence, there wasn't much to sell.

Opportunity was plentiful, but the owner let it all slip away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pack
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
That's too bad. I used to go to Hobbytown, but I can't say I had much hope for the new location.

Speaking of the AC, I remember dripping in sweat when I was in there last summer. I don't guess the few bucks I was going to spend would have made a difference.

Thanks for the answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobra1 wrote:
Sounds like more than the owner, looks like external factors played heavy when you consider the landlord.

Granted, but I stressed the fact that no one knew the store was there AND helped arrange a potential move to a new place with much better conditions and far more foot traffic (especially students.) It was a bad situation all around, but there was an avenue out if he had been willing to take it. He wasn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.