Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Just off finishing Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth for X-Box I decided I needed to make a Jack Walters character for Arkham Horror. In doing so, I imagined up a new special ability mechanic. While I tried to think really hard about it's play balance I confess its a total crap shoot.

I've (in my haste) already submitted it as a file, but I thought we could work over the fine points together.

You can see the character sheet here:
http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=walters8fc.jpg
There is a minor spoiler for the video game. Its integral to the special ability so I couldn't avoid it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work. I'm still stuck in the game - it was good until I got to the cannery and got killed over and over ... and over ...

Where did you get the background art for the sheet by the way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I wish I remembered. I do believe that via another forum I found that the person who made the character sheets already in the files section actually has a blank sheet on their website. I'll try to rediscover it later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Homebrew Character: Play Balance? (CoC:DCotE Jack Walter
Its very hit and misss...If the City of the Great Race comes up, this is neat. If it doesn't, not so neat. I haven't really played the game enough anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
My thought was that it was a really quite powerfull ability, but can only be used occasionally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Crary
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I think his ability is pretty balanced - it's luck based, and therefore not super likely to occur a crazy number of times during the game. The only issue would be there are cards in the deck that allow you to jump to different realms - I think the Captain of the White Ship allows this though I don't have my cards on hand. There are also some other world cards that have you 'go to a x-other world and do an adventure there before returning', though I'm not sure if City of the Great Race is on that list. Could cause some ruling issues - if he enters the City of the Great Race through non-gate means does he get the clue and get lost in time and space, close some other gate? Divide by zero and destroy reality?

I also think the ability should be an optional activation instead of forced. 'he may immediately return' instead of being forced to. I could see situations where it could be a bad thing to close the gate immediately instead of getting a chance to seal it - Lets say monsters are blocking the other gates and they only need 1 seal to win. Jack has the find gate spell and a Elder Sign, and the elder evil is about to wake up. I just don't think special abilities should really ever be a bad thing - at least not unintentionally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.