Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Reynolds
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was thinking of buying a new game. I really enjoy Runebound 2nd ed. and I am looking for a similar themed game. It looks like PR and RotH made the final cut. What game do you think should be my next purchase? Are there other games I should be looking at instead of these? Tell me what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Holmstrom
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I do not own PR, I have researched the game here. I do own ROTH and its expansion, and have played various Dungeon Crawls in my gaming career.
From appearences, ROTH seems the better of the two choices.
Why?
1. Components. The game is chock full of quality bits. From what I read of PR, you are going to have to do some cutting and such. This is not the case with ROTH: all top notch components with professional graphics. Pretty cheap too!
2. Replay/ variety. ROTH has 16 game boards to mix every game. 6 heroes vs 4 (with a plethora of downloadable ones as well). A different quest every game for every hero, and the ultimate baddie to fight changes efery game too.
3. Gameplay. ROTH allows character progression (don't know about PR), in fact, this is the way to win the game. Combat is easily resolved. Both systems seem similiar in quests and board movement.

ROTH is a good "family" game. My wife (not a big gamer) loves ROTH---much more than Settlers'. I highly reccommend it if you are looking for a lighter game than Runebound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RotH is the best of the genre in my opinion. I highly recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Haven't played Phantasy Realm. I do have Return of the Heroes, and am not a big fan. The combat system, while quick, is very simple. The challenge of the game is figuring out the fastest way to move around the board and gain experience and items. My kids like the game, but it just does't do it for me. But a new expansion did just come out, so that may enhance the game somewhat.

Have you looked at World of Warcraft? If you like Runebound, I would think you would like this. I posted a review comparing Runebound to World of Warcraft that may help:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/91316

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Return of the Heroes. Lots of quests and such to keep you busy. The downtime and amount of dice rolling is just about right for this genre of game. I like it a little better than Runebound and a lot better than World of Warcraft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hunsucker
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a Runebound fan, and I have not played Phantasy Realm, but RotH is a good game. I don't like it as much as Runebound, but it's definitely a keeper for me. Be sure to get the rules from the BGG site. The rules in the box are written in a conversational style, which is incredibly confusing if you're used to reading the normal step by step rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.