United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I've changed some code related the user login system. If you come across some errors where you can't login or can't access something you normally could please let me know. It might be hard to post a message if there's any major errors, so you can send a bug report to me directly: scott.alden@gmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Scott,

I keep get sent back to the user login page. Everything else is working fine. I can navigate, but have to keep clicking the submit button on user login to continue. Sorry, my level of technical understanding is limited, so I don't know why this is happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, just got one here when I tried to tell you that I am incapable to send mail via the "contact user" system ;-)

The box showing my password is showing the asterix for my password, but when I simply continue it comes back as password invalid, please log-in. The password box itself, however, appears to be locked as I cannot enter it to change the data there.

Side-note, knowing that you are busy and today is a frantic day already. Used the quick rating form today and it corrupted most of my comments for the letters amended. Not sure if it is a one off but I would hate to see other geeks falling prey to the gremlins too.

Thanks for all the hard work, I love the new layout, especially now I've gone ad-free.

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Marker
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep -- in the space of about 20 minutes I had to log in six or seven times. I was reading/sending messages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge
Just been told that the emails do arrive, so I'm not prevented from sending, but it does give me the error message.

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Working on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I think I've fixed it, but let me know if there's still problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Kobra1 wrote:
I kweep getting sent back as well, but even worse, I get a huge database error now when I try to access my profile. =(

When you go to a game, then check out trades, and "View Wants" for other people, then page back, you have to re-login again, and it seems to mess up there.

Both problems should be fixed now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
I think I've fixed it, but let me know if there's still problems.

Nope, still doing it.

Could it be becasue of a lengthy password?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge
Now flawless. Cheers Aldie, fab work.

When you have hadwell desrved pillow time, if you could look into the quick rating script behaviour I would be much obliged. Don't dare to go near it now after having lost some lengthy comments.

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
BigWoo wrote:
Now flawless. Cheers Aldie, fab work.

When you have hadwell desrved pillow time, if you could look into the quick rating script behaviour I would be much obliged. Don't dare to go near it now after having lost some lengthy comments.

Paul

Is this the apostrophe problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge
I thought it would be, as most of the entries certainly were chopped at what must have been a " or a '. However, some entries were cut at what appear to be more random points, and I even found a couple that have migrated to new games alltogether. Maybe a result of PHP/MySQL handling when things went wrong.

Did not realize this was a known bug or I would have stayed well clear. Figured it might have something to do with an old script not working well with the new BGG interfaces. My excuses if I have dragged up an old issue.

Slightly frustrating as inevitably it were the longer ones that suffered most, and only today I realised I could export and back up. I take they are lost 4 good? Probably about time someone shut me up ;-) And it certainly brought my stats down for longest ranter per commentary, as one of your admin stat crunchers appears to have spotted.

Don't mind it too much, as I am way to grateful for all the other joys of hanging around here. I never really thought them through well enough to submit them as reviews, and game session they weren't either. Just a shame they're gone as it appears that some people found my comments (good and bad) useful as they could start to tell what sort of gamer I was and how that reflected on what they might like. And had some nice comments from folk who had kids who appreciated those diversions as BGG has no real hub for younger folk's interests.

Ah well, since I suspect they aren't backed up by you guys either and there are far more important things to do, I take I'll just have to remember 21 times 1800+ keystrokes ;-)

Cheers Aldie, good luck with the new day job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Ah you may be hitting the size limit for the comments. If it's arbitrarily cut off. Each comment can hold 65,535 characters. Were they that big?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still can't login with my personal laptop. But then, that was leftover from before the recent changes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Sheylon, have you tried deleting cookies on the laptop?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
Each comment can hold 65,535 characters. Were they that big?

LOL, you are kidding, right? No, I settled apparently for an average length of 1860-something across all my comments. Even the longest wouldn't have gone anywhere near the "limit" you set, and the overall length was well below what other people had been entering over many more games, so that also couldn't be it. I guess I was lucky that since I have only recently started to leave comments for the games I have just played, that thankfully there weren't that many entered (yet). I only lost 21, albeit long musings.

I only stumbled accross my own stats today whilst I was looking for a thread that might have addressed a sudden problem with the quick-form before pulling an alarm bell. Given that most comments from just about any other contributor easily fit on 3 or 4 lines tops I already felt I was pushing the boat out a bit. Seeing in black and white that my average comment length appeared to clock in at roughly twice the size of the next wordy contributor made me laugh, I'll be a bit more reserved if I remmeber, but I did not relate the length to the problem.

It will indeed be the ' and possible the combination of '-s and "-s that will be behind my shock discovery today.

Puzzled why some migrated to new entries though and why others were cut off without there being a quotation mark in sight, but as I said it will simply be a page I'll stay away from. I like using them too much. I tend to rate only when I comment anyway, so I have no problem using the game-by-game forms.

Is the apastrophe bug a problem that has been around for a while then? I only spotted the comment to make sure I saved before leaving the page, I did not see any warnings about it. Probably did not look close enough as I am becoming caveat-blind.

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
At home, my sign-in usually works fine. At school, I keep getting redirected back to the home sign-in page, while being told to sign-in. This happened something like six times in a row. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oskari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was something changed on Profile pages as well?

The Game Rating Distribution chart on my profile page is currently 630 pixels wide, rendering the page pretty much useless wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Yeah - I was messing with it yesterday. Checking your profile now to see what I messed up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having problems logging in on my desktop. Signs me in but sends me back to main screen logged out (and if I click on anything). My laptop seems to work fine. Was working before the big change. I have no idea why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Can you try deleting your cookies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasey Relford
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try not only CLEARING cookies, but checking any FIREWALL/SECURIY software you may have configured for what is commonly called "Cookie Control" [that's what it's called within Zone Labs Integrity Client, Black Ice I'm not sure of].

There is a common workaround. Since we trust Scott's site to be safe, go into your browsers PRIVACY settings, and there should be a "Edit Sites" button for Cookie handling. Depending on the browser [I'm talking IE], you should be where you can add sites to a TRUST list. Try adding www.boardgamegeek.com to the 'ALLOW' list, save, and then clear everything...cookies, temp files, et al, and try again.

Works 90% of the time, and I support Web Applications.

If you have Service Pack 2 installed on Windows XP, you're going to continue to have these sorts of problems as popular sites get more 'cookie-oriented' and 'login-happy' [as I like to call it], as the SP2 increases strict internet security settings about %500.

Kasey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sullivan
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
I got a new computer in November and was unable to login BGG through my internet provider. I was always able to up until then. I would login, get the login successful go back to the main page and not be logged in. I Downloaded AOL free trial and it works just fine. Able to completely navagite BGG. Any remedy so I don't have to go to AOL?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah tried all those things. funny thing is I can also sign on just fine thru AOL on the same comp=uter and visit other sites jsut fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Sheylon, have you tried deleting cookies on the laptop?

It finally worked! All hail Aldie!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.