Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played through this game last night for the first time - we didn't complete it, simply because we were figuring the rules out and ran out of time, but I have to say that I am excited about this game! What a clever, artistic, thoughtful design. And beautiful to look at.

My feeling is that the modules add a lot to the game, and don't add too much to the complexity. I am intending to leave out the "Objectives" module on early plays, since the Quest system is a little daunting for newcomers as it is! But the "Powers" and "Skills" modules are very simple and intuitive.

The rulebook is a little unclear - poor grammar and many typos make it hard to follow at first. This is obviously the problem of translating to English, and the curse of many other games. The sooner a gameplay video comes along the better! The modules are even less clearly explained. I have added several "Rules" threads, since it is always easier to navigate the Rules Forum by heading rather than lumping all your questions under one title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Cremona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what about the second run?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been several more run-throughs, and they've all been equally as exciting. At the risk of being the only one posting on the Winter Tales pages, I won't put up a session report, until we get a few more players posting their stories and experiences! There must be more people out there experiencing this great game - tell us about it!

I trained as an actor, and spent a lot of time reading about (and practising) improvisation and storytelling theory (largely based around Keith Johnstone's teachings). There is so much crossover between that world of spontaneity and creativity, and games like Winter Tales, that I might post a few "strategy" articles regarding story-telling techniques - things to look out for, to avoid the story getting bogged-down or over-elaborate.

I don't want to dominate these forums though, so I'll hold off for a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.