Popular Tags: [View All]
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 50th anniversary edition of scrabble came with very simple electronic timer. It had one button. Push it, it counts down from 3 minutes. Push it again, it stops the clock. Push it again, it resets. This is my favorite electronic "sand" timer I've found. I don't have to wait for sand to drain before restarting it, and unlike most kitchen timers, I don't have to worry about setting the time, hitting the wrong button, etc.

So I'd like a 1 minute and a 2 minute timer like this. I can't find similar clocks so far online. Where could I get one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your local Radio Shack should have various electronic timers which can be set for countdown mode--although you'll probably have to hit a second button to reset the timer.

The one I have can be set to "verbally" count down the last few seconds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also check out various digital chess clocks. Modern ones can usually be programmed to whatever timing situation you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The G8 timer can do that and a lot of other things

https://www.123oy.com/g8/Game%20Timer.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I have the G8 and 2 chess clocks. I don't want to have to program anything and I just want the one button. Is that Scrabble timer the only such thing to ever be made, ya think?

I've bought games just to check out their timers. I'm very interested in finding these simple timers if anyone knows where to get them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
We have the latest "official" Scrabble timer (comes in a scrabbley box, sold by Mattel)

and you can set it for either 1, 2 or 3 minutes

Cheers,

Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Make your own? Especially if the time is pre-set, I don't think the electronics would be hard at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't know where to start making my own, but maybe I could hire someone to do it. You know how, Barry?

Do you have pic of the Scrabble timer, Nick? Is it the one by Paul Lamond? I can't find a good pic of that one. How much to ship one to me in Kentucky (42104)?

And how much if I added in a copy of Party Scrabble?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidme wrote:
The 50th anniversary edition of scrabble came with very simple electronic timer. It had one button. Push it, it counts down from 3 minutes. Push it again, it stops the clock. Push it again, it resets. This is my favorite electronic "sand" timer I've found. I don't have to wait for sand to drain before restarting it, and unlike most kitchen timers, I don't have to worry about setting the time, hitting the wrong button, etc.

So I'd like a 1 minute and a 2 minute timer like this. I can't find similar clocks so far online. Where could I get one?

If you want to try something really silly, I'd suggest the timer out of the game "Pass The Bomb".

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/137

This has an easy to set time which has a variable (i.e. random) time setting of anywhere between 10-60 seconds.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Stevens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I've just been thinking about designing this very thing. Maybe I'll do that today. This would be a simple little 1-2 day project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
There is a geeklist of games with timers:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Other games that have Quirky timers include ebay talking Auction (random order) and Electronic Catchphrase (random length within some range).

If the G8 is too complex, perhaps we need a G4 with half the options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I use 'BigClock' on one of my old Palm Pilots. The software is free. If you have an old Palm PDA you should check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam timer
msg tools
SamTimer
the king of scrabble timers
www.SamTimer.com
many models.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SamTimer wrote:
SamTimer
the king of scrabble timers
www.SamTimer.com
many models.

Wow. Kantimathi (sp?) found his way to my little thread just to post an ad here for his clock. I actually know of the guy because I'm a bit of a Scrabble nut. It's basically a chess clock, nothing like what I was asking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I tried about six freeware PocketPC timers for playtest appropriateness.

The two I liked best were Counter Timer and StopTime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.