Mika Korhonen
Finland
Oulu
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the question aloud this seems an obvious yes blush
but here we go:

Does Western Link count as a link when determining the largest railroad (J.P.Morgan) or the longest railroad (T.D.Judah)?

The name Western Link, of course, suggests it to be a link but on the other hand in the rules a link is defined to be a tile or series of tiles that connect one city to another. In the western link case this other city remains unknown, so the answer is no more that obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With a price tag of $30,000, I'd say that it counts as a link for ALL circumstances (including Tycoon bonuses). Heck, I'm tempted to say that it should come with a free set of commemorative coins as well, for that price!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread Keith said that they put a train on the western link marker to show ownership, so I would think that makes it a link also!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trenton
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question! That scenario hasn't come up yet in our games... But, we're prepared now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Blume
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Excellent question and the answer is yes, the Western Link does count as a link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
keithblume2 wrote:
Excellent question and the answer is yes, the Western Link does count as a link.

I don't recall, but do the red cubes go on the link tile then? Or on the city that the link corresponds to? If the latter, what is the rationale? One would think that 30 grand would get me exclusive rights to them. If the former, then wouldn't it be obvious that it is a link?

I only ask as I don't have the game yet; have played it 4 times, only seen one WL so far, and just assumed the 4 reds went on the link as it made sense; never looked it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mika Korhonen
Finland
Oulu
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, thanks for the answer.

Trenton wrote:
Good question! That scenario hasn't come up yet in our games... But, we're prepared now.

In our games neither, but it was quite close as the player owning the western link had just one or two ordinary links more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Blume
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The red cubes appear in the city, not on the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keithblume2 wrote:

Well, I guess I was wrong about my assumption that the player buying the Western Link is entitled to the red cubes, as I stated in another thread. Seems like a waste of money to me if you have to share the cubes with anyone else who has built a link out of KC or DM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kinga1965 wrote:
keithblume2 wrote:

Well, I guess I was wrong about my assumption that the player buying the Western Link is entitled to the red cubes, as I stated in another thread. Seems like a waste of money to me if you have to share the cubes with anyone else who has built a link out of KC or DM.

It's not as bad as you think if the other player moves a red cube ot Chicago, then you likely get first shot at making use of one of the two new cubes that appear there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I guess you are right Mark. It still seems a steep price for the payoff. I imagine the best time to own a Western Link would be if you are all alone in the midwest, but how often will that happen outside a two player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kinga1965 wrote:
Yes, I guess you are right Mark. It still seems a steep price for the payoff. I imagine the best time to own a Western Link would be if you are all alone in the midwest, but how often will that happen outside a two player game?

I played a 6 player game with Keith Blume once and I was the only one who built out of Chicago. There was 1 other player around St. Louis. Unfortunately no one built a Western Link, but it's doesn't have to be a 2 player game to make the Western Link work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kinga1965 wrote:
It still seems a steep price for the payoff. I imagine the best time to own a Western Link would be if you are all alone in the midwest, but how often will that happen outside a two player game?

The Western link is worthwhile if you own all the links out of Chicago, own hotel Chicago, or must build the western link for your tycoon. Match two or three of these conditions and the Western link becomes very powerful. Match none of these conditions and the link isn't going to be very helpful.

There are factors that make it less helpful, such as having a "fewest shares tycoon" or having a "most money" tycoon, where the grand investment is unlikely to pay off.

We have had atleast one game where the western link was in play long enough to have a major impact on the game, but it is more common to see it played too late to matter or not built at all.

-Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We have had atleast one game where the western link was in play long enough to have a major impact on the game, but it is more common to see it played too late to matter or not built at all.

-Greg

I ran a tournament at a convention this last weekend and out of the 4 games, the Western Link was only built once and played no role in the winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.