GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

10,344 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
46 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Manufacturer Run-down for Influence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: reference [+] printing [+] manufacturer [+] [View All]
whiskey tango foxtrot
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
One Overtext To Rule Them All
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(original article: http://twomonkeystudios.com/?p=257 and https://www.facebook.com/groups/320445024722916/permalink/34...)

Manufacturer Run-down for Influence

I mentioned writing something like this, and now I’m finally doing it. This will be rough, but it doesn’t require much polish to be good reading, I think.

NOTE: Numbers used were from the first wave of price quotes, which changed a few times during the Kickstarter campaign as I tried to find optimal prices for cool add-ons/expansions. This is a terrible idea. Finalize literally every single thing BEFORE you consider asking for quotes, just be sure the quotes last the duration of your campaign. Anyway, the numbers only indicate getting the games to my house, and don’t take into consideration art, warehousing fees that some may have, or the most important piece: shipping to backers.

Background

Influence is 72 small cards, and 21 large cards (they really should be square). I started with PandaGM to get an idea of sizing, and they said that 100 cards, shrink wrapped, is 32mm thick. 60 cards is nearly 20mm thick. The card sizes I looked at initially were 51mm x 51mm and 70mm x 70mm. Lots of squares. You can see that in the gameplay video (http://youtu.be/kWbPLz8NSZQ).

China or US-based?

Every company that I talked to manufactures in China. The two US-only manufacturers were either too expensive ($16,000 vs a quote from China for $9,000), or had a minimum order way too high (10,000). I’d pass out with excitement if I could sell 10,000 games, when the game is abstract/strategy. Yeah… Anyway, beware February. Chinese New Year hit mid-quote-cycle for me, so it was VERY easy to find out who manufactured in China (“our factories are on holiday for the New Year”). That said…

PandaGM

http://www.pandagm.com/

Panda’s quotes are the best. First off, they come in PDF format, and include instructions for all of the rest of the steps. They do NOT include shipping, but they’ll get a quote if you ask. Their reps are responsive most of the time (busy schedules around Chinese New Year really skewed this, but typically they are very fast), and based in Vancouver, so they speak native English. The rep I spoke to would often suggest things like, “If you can get rid of one card, you won’t go onto a second sheet, and you’ll save a bunch of money,” which doesn’t sound like much, but he was the only rep to suggest that out of any company I talked to.

Their minimum order is 1500, and their quote for 1500 games was $4.53 each, plus $1800 in shipping and their standard overage (2.5% + 100), so 1,638 games at $4.38 plus $1800 in shipping is a total cost of $9,485 to get the games to me, plus the “hidden” wire transfer fees totaling somewhere between $100-$200. At 2000, 2500, and 3000 games, the price per unit dropped to $3.65, $3.25, and $2.89, respectively, for a total of $9,915, $11,021, and $11,473 respectively. Set-up fees are part of the pricing per component and are not disclosed individually.

My POC was Chris Matthew, and I will request him by name every time. They also have, hands down, the absolute best quote request system. LOVE IT.

WinGo

http://www.wingoindustry.com/

Another Chinese company, WinGo was very quick to reply to emails, but their quotes came in an Excel spreadsheet. The nice thing was that they price each component individually, so you can say “oh, look, if I drop three cards, it will save X.” Their estimated shipping cost was roughly $2000, but their prices were great. 1000 units for $3.14 per unit, up to 3000 units for $2.68 per unit. $660 in setup fees.

My POC was Leon Lau.

Ningbo-Lijia

http://www.cnlijia.com.cn/service.asp

I found their link on BGG and, frankly, was very impressed with their first quote. It was even less expensive than WinGo, with 1000 units at $2.94 per unit, and $800 in setup fees. They also never got me a shipping quote. I thought that was weird. And then I posted on LinkedIn.

I’ve received, via reply or direct message on LinkedIn, at least 3 cold-solicitations asking to produce my game. They were almost identically worded, with different Standard US White Person Names at signature block (David, Edit: Melinda Melissa, Steven).

I had no negative experience with the company, aside from the offers to produce my game. But that was more ‘weird’ than ‘negative.’ I can’t fault them too much for looking for business.

Update: I have been warned that Ningbo-Lijia has a track record of not properly sealing games, meaning that they retain moisture. Moldy games are a bad thing. I have no personal experience with this company’s product, but I wanted to mention this part anyway. Edit: This could simply be a case of bad luck with something happening during shipment that would be completely out of anyone's control.

Additionally, looking back through my records, I remembered that Ningbo-Lijia does not handle customs, imports, or domestic shipping, so that would be additional coordination/logistics on the publisher's part.

Ludo Fact

http://www.ludofact.de/cms/front_content.php?lang=1&client=1...

I tried Ludo Fact, but frankly, their website is (was?) terrible. After two minutes of looking (AFTER switching to English– I don’t fault a website for its native tongue), I still didn’t see a link to request a quote, or any way to find contact info.

Chicago Game and Card

http://www.chicagogameandcard.com/

Their minimum order was 10,000. Did not talk further.

DeLano Services

http://www.delanoservice.com/

Their POC took about four weeks to get a quote to me, and it was at least double the best price I’d seen at the time. I’m all for supporting US manufacturers, but I’m neither made of money nor a charity.

To put this into perspective, the MSRP of Influence would have to have been nearly $35-40 for this quote to have been affordable if I were going to sell to a distributor of any kind.

521 Promo

http://www.521promo.com/

This is a New Jersey based company (manufacturers are in China, US, etc) who makes custom monopoly games, but also made Evil Baby Orphanage. I skimmed the reviews on BGG and there are zero comments about the components. I figure, either your components are so amazing that they warrant quotes (like a miniatures game), or they’re bad enough to warrant complaint, or they fall in the middle zone of no comments.

My POC was Kellene “Kelly” Addison, and she is extremely quick to reply. It’s uncanny.

Their minimum order was 500, and their quote was $8.95 per unit for 500 units, plus about $320 in setup fees. Their final quote after I went a lot further in the Kickstarter was $8.55 per unit for 500 units, $320 setup, and $1100 shipping.

Customized Playing Cards / Quality Playing Cards

http://qualityplayingcards.net/

One company with two names: I call them QPC. They’re based in Orlando but use Chinese and US manufacturers, and typically took 1-3 days to reply to emails about quotes, which I don’t mind. It was slower than 521Promo, but still quite reasonable given the tasks I was presenting. Their minimum is 1000 for board games, or 750 for card games. 750 units was quoted at $5.29 per unit, with $960 in setup fees, and $880 shipping to my door. This was the best quote due to one major perk: the 2-piece box was included at that price, where other manufacturers had lowered their prices due to my interest in tuck boxes.

On the negative side, they use exactly one email address, which has been the email address associated with 3 contacts so far. The replies form a new email, so email history in gmail is lost between contacts, so asking for a quote with card size A changing to X and quantity of cards in deck B increasing to Y was lost at least three times. They’re very good about correcting that, and it’s really more of a personal annoyance to me than anything else.

On the VERY positive side, I requested a sample of their work, expecting either a stack of links or, at best, a few cards. They sent me two complete games (The games are… not good. But the quality is top-notch), and three decks of cards on different paper (280 GSM, 300 GSM, and 300 GSM with linen embossing). The 280 GSM — the lowest quality of the three — still felt quite nice. It probably wouldn’t be the best for shuffling, dealing, and holding a hand of cards, but Influence really doesn’t do any of those, so it doesn’t matter to me.

So, my contacts’ names were Charles, Doug, and Michael.

Oh, and if you list their name and website as your manufacturer, they offer a $200 discount on your order. This is about $120 shy of the amount needed to increase my order from 750 to 1000.

Conclusions

For Kickstarter, the formula to get the Goal is:
($/unit x units + fees + shipping_to_me + misc) / (0.9 x base_price – 5.80) = number of units that have to sell at the base price.

n_units_sold x base_price = KS goal

Using example numbers: ($7/unit x 1000 + 320 + 1250 + 1500*)/(22.50-5.80) = 603 sales at $25, or $15,000 K goal with no buffer/etc.
*misc fees depending on your project. art, distributor fees, etc, fill in to this category.

You can see a LOT more detail in my post about Kickstarter Math.

I was able to get two quotes to be around $7,250 Kickstarter goal, so I rounded up to $8,500 to have a buffer in case my math was wrong. Turns out, that was really handy, as I ended up hiring an artist to redo the entire game, and used that entire buffer to do it.

As it stands, I’m going to “make” about $50 after the Kickstarter, and I’ll have nearly 500 games fully paid for. Unless my math is wrong... robot

One more thing…

If you’re looking for promotional cards, 405Media does business cards of various sizes and types. One such card type is squares, and they do 2″ x 2″, 2.5″ x 2.5″, 2.75″ x 2.75″, and 3″ x 3″. The 2″ x 2″ cards are $15 for 200 identical cards, with like $9 shipping. Anyway, using all square cards, I could build my game entirely based on ordering multiple stacks from them. I won’t do that, but I could. It’d be a great place to add things like unique cards, etc.

http://www.405media.com/

I ordered a pack of 200 of the cards to see if they were good, and they’re GREAT. The corners are very sharp.

--matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt, I'd be glad to talk to you about your numbers if you want a second set of eyes from someone who's gone through all this multiple times.

A few cautions on the China vs. US decision. The gap is closing regarding those costs. China is currently cheaper in many respects and they do plastics very very well- however- as labor rates rise their quotes will rise- plus you must factor in freight via slow boat (and the cost of it), insurance for your product in containers, etc.... be careful. I have heard good and bad when dealing with various companies over there. The main caution is that there is little recourse if something comes out wrong- and then you're out your production money with nothing to show for it. There is a lot of recourse available in the US- and many US printers will 'make things right' in order to keep your business. This was a big topic at the GAMA Trade Show this month and Larry (President of Mayfair Games) gave a lot of great information about it. FYI, Mayfair does 95% of their production with USA-based companies. I do 100% USA-based, and know several other companies that do the same. So it's certainly possible, you just have to know where to go.

There are sources in the US that can do things well and relatively cheaply. A typical path for me is sourcing boxes from one place, cards from another, dice from another, etc., and kitting the end result myself (with help).

Currently though, China will be "cheaper", no doubt, but to quote Larry, "it's not always about the money."

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Jones
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great post Matt!

Quick question here, is the main reason you went with Quality Playing Cards is because it was the cheapest per unit? Or was there some other factor that drew you in to Quality Playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whiskey tango foxtrot
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wrjones05 wrote:
Great post Matt!

Quick question here, is the main reason you went with Quality Playing Cards is because it was the cheapest per unit? Or was there some other factor that drew you in to Quality Playing?

First was the responsiveness -- there were only four companies that responded quickly (521Promo, QPC, PandaGM, and WinGo). The others responded, but it took a long enough amount of time (compared to the first four) that it was noticeable.

Second was total cost -- PandaGM and WinGo had nearly the same price-per-unit, but their minimum orders of 1500 and 1000 respectively resulted in a larger total cost than QPC or 521Promo.

Third was components -- basically everyone has played a game printed by PandaGM, and there are a number of games printed by the other three, but the sample kit that QPC sent out was really good. I know there are complaints about their plastic trays, but my first concern was the cards, and second concern was the box, and in those two areas, QPC's sample kit was really good.

So it was kind of a combination of all of those reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Du
China
Ningbo City
flag msg tools
David from Ningbo Lijia Industry /on your thread
Matt ,

This is David from Ningbo Lijia Industry and we really doubted threads you posted.

Pls note there is no Melissa or Steven in our company ,could you pls send us the quotation records from the three ?It would be appreciated if you could send us the quotation records.

Besides ,all of products are of top quality at a reasonable price and comply with SRS-044,EN,71,72,73,CE ,ASTM F963,CPSIA,etc ,check more from http://www.cnlijia.com.cn/news.asp .As far as we know ,almost all of our clients give us good comments.

For products quality,pls note not only do we guarantee the basic quality requirement of no peeling,no bending ,no moisture ,no mold ,etc but also ensure top quality under our strict QC process of ISO9001-2008 . SO it would be higly appreciated if you could tell us the one who said our products are moldy .As it has badly damaged our reputation and we will call to account.

For the pricing ,as we are the Chinese Direct OEM manufacturer and renowned long time game vendor ,so the price can be pretty reasonable with top quality ensured.

For the shipping freight ,pls understand normally we'd like to give more accurate prices after sample arrangement as detailed volume and weight can be told.However,we can also quoate an estimated price for you as we have long time cooperating shipping company if urgent requirement.

For service ,pls note normally our sales would reply in one or two days asap they can . Most of our clients must know it pretty well .

Your any feedback will be welcomed.
David Du sales5@cnlijia.com.cn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trev Elyan
United States
California
flag msg tools
Didn't see that coming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whiskey tango foxtrot
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Du wrote:
Matt ,

This is David from Ningbo Lijia Industry and we really doubted threads you posted.

Pls note there is no Melissa or Steven in our company ,could you pls send us the quotation records from the three ?It would be appreciated if you could send us the quotation records.

Melinda, not Melissa. Sorry. The other solicitations were replies to messages on LinkedIn that I did not reply to. I don't know if there's an easy way to search via LinkedIn through all of the replies to my posts, but I don't want to spend the time to do it manually. My point was that I had already received a quote when these solicitations came through.

Quote:
Besides ,all of products are of top quality at a reasonable price and comply with SRS-044,EN,71,72,73,CE ,ASTM F963,CPSIA,etc ,check more from http://www.cnlijia.com.cn/news.asp .As far as we know ,almost all of our clients give us good comments.

For products quality,pls note not only do we guarantee the basic quality requirement of no peeling,no bending ,no moisture ,no mold ,etc but also ensure top quality under our strict QC process of ISO9001-2008 . SO it would be higly appreciated if you could tell us the one who said our products are moldy .As it has badly damaged our reputation and we will call to account.

Like I said, I have no experience with the quality of your product, but I have heard 'horror stories' about moldy products. I will edit the original post to make this more clear.

Quote:
For the pricing ,as we are the Chinese Direct OEM manufacturer and renowned long time game vendor ,so the price can be pretty reasonable with top quality ensured.

For the shipping freight ,pls understand normally we'd like to give more accurate prices after sample arrangement as detailed volume and weight can be told.However,we can also quoate an estimated price for you as we have long time cooperating shipping company if urgent requirement.

For service ,pls note normally our sales would reply in one or two days asap they can . Most of our clients must know it pretty well .

Your any feedback will be welcomed.
David Du sales5@cnlijia.com.cn

Your replies were very fast, but I never got a solid answer about shipping costs. I looked into my email, and also found that your company was one of a few that deliver to a port, so the next steps (customs, import, domestic shipping) would be left for me to handle, which is the easiest reason why I would opt for another manufacturer. If I had a larger business, or contacts with a lot of shipping know-how, that could be a different story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whiskey tango foxtrot
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirlala wrote:
Didn't see that coming

I did. David is active on BGG, LinkedIn, etc. Frankly, I admire the fact that he cares enough to comment. I have no experience with his company's product, but their customer interaction/support is quite good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pelikan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing.

cocuzzi wrote:

Ludo Fact

I tried Ludo Fact, but frankly, their website is (was?) terrible. After two minutes of looking (AFTER switching to English– I don’t fault a website for its native tongue), I still didn’t see a link to request a quote, or any way to find contact info.

Did you click on the Contact Us puzzle piece in the link above, or are the menu images not showing properly in your browser? However I doubt their pricing would have been competitive at such low volumes, plus shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whiskey tango foxtrot
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puschl wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

cocuzzi wrote:

Ludo Fact

Did you click on the Contact Us puzzle piece in the link above, or are the menu images not showing properly in your browser? However I doubt their pricing would have been competitive at such low volumes, plus shipping.

I only use Chrome, so my assumption is that it showed up but that specific information (or an email link) was lacking. I can't check the page from work, and it's been ~2 months since I looked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nguyen
msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Matt,

How long did it take QPC to get back to you? I filled out the quote form a couple weeks ago and haven't heard back.

Got the Panda one back and it definitely is the best organized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cocuzzi wrote:

As it stands, I’m going to “make” about $50 after the Kickstarter, and I’ll have nearly 500 games fully paid for.

This is something that I think a lot of really young/amateur/uninformed/would-be designers need to know. You're really not all that likely to make money off of your game, even if you put a lot of time, effort, love, and sweat into it.

Which is sad, but some people will sacrifice a lot for the sake of their art and their dreams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whiskey tango foxtrot
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rubycowgames wrote:
Matt,

How long did it take QPC to get back to you? I filled out the quote form a couple weeks ago and haven't heard back.

Got the Panda one back and it definitely is the best organized.

It only took a few days... Their phone contact info is on their contact page -- I called them at one point to verify something they had sent, and they were quick to answer and discuss.

The Panda quote is great -except- that they go to the point of listing a total price (units x $/unit), and then a few lines down explain that they will actually charge {(1.025 x units + 100) x $/unit}. They also don't give a shipping quote until you ask, which I suppose is okay since that's an easy way to start communication with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whiskey tango foxtrot
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
cocuzzi wrote:

As it stands, I’m going to “make” about $50 after the Kickstarter, and I’ll have nearly 500 games fully paid for.

This is something that I think a lot of really young/amateur/uninformed/would-be designers need to know. You're really not all that likely to make money off of your game, even if you put a lot of time, effort, love, and sweat into it.

Which is sad, but some people will sacrifice a lot for the sake of their art and their dreams.

For Kickstarter alone, I worked on it for about 2 hours per night every night it was active, and for the entire month preceding the campaign. And that's AFTER the game was designed, tweaked, tested, etc.

The best advice is still DO NOT QUIT YOUR DAY JOB.

For me, having my game printed and published, as well as finding people that really like it, is the entire point. If I make money off of it, that's cool too.

I'd love to say that it would be great to generate additional income to help pay bills etc, but that would be lying. If I actually make a profit, 40% of it will go into the next game(s), and 70% of it will go into buying games off of Kickstarter. Yes, that's 110%. My coach in high school said I should always give 110%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Jaeger
Germany
Burtenbach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

sorry for taking so long to reply, I am not here all the time. Not for lack of interest, but for lack of time.

I would really, really love to argue with you, Matt. But I can't. Our webpage IS terrible. Yes, we need to change that, yes we have it on our agenda, but no: we never really came around to it. If that pushed you away, it is all our fault, we acknowledge that. I want to personally apologize to you for the bad experience you had with Ludo Fact even before we got to talk.

Generally, just FYI, our MOQ is 1000 games, but prices are not likely to be great at that volume. The main reason is the exchange rate: 1 Euro equals $1.32 at the moment. (We have a Euro-crisis, did you notice? Good for my private purchases, very bad for my professional sales efforts.)

Anyway, if somebody wants to get in touch, the easiest is to use the "info" email address in the said puzzle piece on the website or talk to me at London, Nürnberg, New York, GenCon, or Essen Fairs. First beer is on me ;-)

Another thing I have to admit: 2 weeks for a quote is also not unusual for Ludo Fact. Currently we are almost at quote request 800. This year. Not to count all the changes in quotes, spill over from last year and reprints without the need to requote. That means app. 10 to 15 per day.

That beign said I have nothing to add to this really, I just want to make known that we are aware of the apparent lack of quality of the web presence. But I won't promise that we will change that soon. My mother taught me to be honest, so I will be with you, too

I am sorry, Matt. I hope I will get the chance to talk to you about a future project at some point.

Best regards
Frank Jaeger
Ludo Fact GmbH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hanuise
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've worked with Ludofact for Dragon Rage (1500 units), Rumble in the House and Rumble in the Dungeon (20.000 units printed so far, first print run was 3.000)

I have received nothing but excellent service and quality from them. Don't let the poor website deceive you, they are the biggest european plant for boardgames, and have a ton of experience. they also have an US and a China subsidiary. Us is mainly some offices, and I don' know if china is offices or if they have a plant there too, but they sure can source most anything boardgame-related.

Chinese have the new year, europeans have the 'Essen rush' : between may and october, it may be difficult to find a spot for production of your game (especially a large print run) as they're working almost 24/7 to get most of the essen releases printed, but they recently opened new production lines so this should get better over time, and it speaks volumes of the number of publishers using them.

Their unique asset is sister company Ludopackt, which is a freight forwarder and logistics handler. Again not the cheapest you can find, but they are very efficient, and can offer such services as warehousing your games in germany once produced and dispatching them by the box or by the pallet as distributor and/or retailer orders come.
When selling games, I've often had replies from other professionals such as 'oh your games are at ludopackt ? Good, just ask them to move them to our storage spot in their warehouse, then.'

They will not be competitive for small print runs, and I'd say 3k copies is a minimum to get a decent price unless you have very common components (say a sheet of 120 poker-sized cards or a board and some standard meeples) not requiring high setup/tool costs.
In my experience their pricing was 10-15% over asian manufacturers, but I felt it was less risky to deal with an european partner.

I certainly will do business with them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Fantastic
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: Post is no longer relevant/up to date. I do still think unicorns are the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Newman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Loter wrote:
Matt from QPC Games here - couple updates to make since this went up a while ago...

1. We're officially QPC Games now as we gave me my own division of the company to be in charge of and so QPC Games is focused on serving the hobby game market.

2. We have proper adult email for all of us now! Matt@QPCGames.com is totally a thing!

3. We don't offer the $200 discount anymore.

4. Our domestic capability is continuing to grow a lot and what we can make completely in house at our Orlando factory is getting real awesome.

5. Official company position is that unicorns are far superior to pegasai, thought the best would be flying unicorns. Duh.

I was onboard until #5. Pegasi are way better than unicorns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Graham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really on topic but I wanted to throw some support the QPC way.

QPC saved the backers of 2 Kickstarters, Mob Town and Ghosts Love Candy. The creator of both bailed, not only on backers but on QPC who had already printed Mob Town and didn't get paid. QPC could have sold all the games to try and recoup their money. Instead they took a loss and shipped Mob Town to its backers (for cost of shipping). Ghosts Love Candy never got printed but QPC allowed those backers to also get Mob Town in replacement.

They didn't have to do that but did it for the backers and in the spirit of gamers everywhere.

If I ever decide to print a card game (and I have a few in mind) QPC will likely be the first stop for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly agree with what was said above, but for one thing that I think I was guilty of at first as well... The name Ningbo-Lijia is easily confused with an older printer that screwed over Me (Minion Games) and TMG. To make matters worse, they actually bought out that older printer which is no longer in existence. So right or wrong (mostly probably wrongly) the company has taken on some of the bad rep. Mold is caused from lack of a client controlled room - so just make sure whatever company you use dries the product out in such a room before shrink wrapping it.

Remember, even if a company says they are in the USA that doesn't mean they produce in the USA. Many will just send your order to China anyway. Sometimes when it's a card only game that can happen at a reasonable price... but soon as you get into a telescope box, wood or plastic bits, and a large folding board, it's near impossible to match the quality and price of non-USA manufacturers.

Lastly, having a Kickstarter pay for your game and breaking even is a great thing and still profitable if you have copies left over to sell to make your profit from. But you best have a plan to do that, people are NOT just going to magically show up at your website to buy it.

Anyway, you can find more manufacturers and my take on them here:
http://www.jamesmathe.com/hitchhikers-guide-to-game-manufact...

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Sheng
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the breakdown! Really useful. We are currently contacting PandaGm and Also Wingo and will reach out to Matt! Excited to work with these different companies!

In terms of speed. How quick are these companies? IS QPC faster because they are in the US and dont need to deal with shipping (Customs etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No idea what they are like to deal with (though their boss is friendly in person) but for playing cards there's Piatnik in Vienna.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morgan-Davies
Scotland
Alloa
Clackmannanshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to say that James' info on his website is extremely useful and I'm sure we all appreciate the effort he took to get all this up for us budding new game designers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Smith
United Kingdom
Thame
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
I wonder if I ask could if anyone would be interested in helping me out. I hope this does not go against the grain / rules - I am sure you will tell me if it does!
I work for a company manufacturing and producing in China for 35 years - head office in UK and further sales offices in New York, California, Sydney and Paris and production teams (50+) dealing with manufacture and sourcing in China and Shenzhen. We started out years ago working with publishers so our history is in printing books, but that soon expanded into add ons, toys and games, packaging and so on. Over the years we've produced plenty of board games because - and I can't think of a way to be humble about it - we can pretty much do anything! We don't own any factories so it's up to our teams in China to pick and choose the right factory for each job - of course we have a list of factories we use regularly for printed product particularly. Pricing is still competitive - our factories are not usually ones you'd have access to from the UK or US and you always deal with your contact in your country.

So anyway I am not really here for a sales pitch - I am just giving some background.
Recently we've had a lot of enquiries for board games and we've realised we are really pretty good at it and it's worth becoming a specialist area for us. I am currently trying to set up a dedicated website to that effect and I wondered if anyone would be interested in letting me know what you would want to see, what makes a good site for you and your needs and what we'd have to do to entice someone to give us a go!
I apologise if this is in the wrong place or outside the rules, but as you can imagine this thread was enormously interesting to me and left me wondering - how do I get on the list! In the end I just thought, nothing ventured nothing gained.
Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
juliasmith1977 wrote:
I wondered if anyone would be interested in letting me know what you would want to see, what makes a good site for you and your needs and what we'd have to do to entice someone to give us a go!

I'd want to see a lot of examples of other games you'd done - overall picture to give a sense of how big the project was, and some detail pictures to prove the quality.

I'd be concerned about you acting as a middleman - that it might slow down communications / getting problems resolved / increase the price, so anything you can add to mitigate that concern would be good.

Having previous clients that can be contacted to act as a reference would probably go a long way.

Finally, make it REALLY easy to contact you to get a quote / open discussion about a project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.