England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
The Catacombs themselves are a network of dank, gloomy tunnels that run under the normal Dungeonquest board. You can enter the Catacombs voluntarily (by finding a passage down) or you can find yourself dumped here if you fall through a trapdoor or off a bridge (ouch). Once in the Catacombs your playing piece is removed from the board, and you move by drawing one card each turn from the deck of 32 Catacomb Cards. The good news is the Catacombs are mostly deserted, so if you are low on Life Points they offer a fairly safe route through the Dungeon, although the Cave Troll is one inhabitant you'd be advised to avoid. The bad news is that you can't leave the Catacombs until you come across a card showing a way up, and even when you do find a way out, you'll never be quite sure where you will reappear!

As you explore Dragonfire Castle, you may be lucky enough to come across one of the 11 new Magic Amulets. These artefacts are flawed in at least one respect - the problem being that you don't know what type of Amulet it is until it starts to do something! The way this works is that the player to your right draws a Magic Amulet card, and only that player knows when, and how, it will operate. You may have found an Amulet that allows you to control rotating rooms, or it could just be that the one you've picked up will strangle you as soon as you place it round your neck. Well, I said they were flawed in at least one respect.

Next we come to the new Room, Search, Crypt and Trap cards, 28 in all. These provide new treasures for you to find (including the Magic Amulets) and, of course a whole bunch of new and interesting ways to die! You may be pounced on by a blood-sucking Vampire, stalked by a deadly Doomshadow, or over-run by a screaming hoard of Snotlings!

The package is rounded off with 20 new Room Tiles and 8 Treasure Chamber counters. The Room Tiles include such goodies as a bridge which crosses open pits. If you fall off, you end up in the Catacombs, assuming the fall doesn't kill you first of course. Or how do you fancy a room filled with giant spider webs? Sounds like fun, huh! The Treasure counters include a couple of surprises as well, and have more to offer than boring old treasure. You may even find a copy of the Wizard's spell book, which offers you a 1 in 12 chance of being teleported straight out of the dungeon - just what you need if the sun is getting low. Of course, it also offers a 2 in 12 chance of killing you instantly...

Dungeonquest Catacombs offers a selection new ideas to add to the game rather than simply providing you with Cards and Tiles that are just variations on those in the original game. It has to be said that using all of the new bits and pieces makes it even more difficult to get out of Dragonfire Castle in one piece. But then, nobody said that being a brave adventurer was going to be easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gossler
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. Thanks for posting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.