Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Uherske
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
We gathered on MLK Day for what might be my last game day for a while (we have a little one on the way soon, and upcoming weekends are to be filled with birthing classes. . . ) I had issued an open invitation for folks to come early to the cafe, and both Rick and Ben showed up a bit early.

Turns out I'd only brought one game that could be played quickly with three, that being For Sale.

Kelly arrived early in our first stage, but we pressed on, feeling we could finish quickly before leaving her waiting too long. Then Ed came and we zoomed ahead, trying to get the game done so that we could turn to the main event.

In my case, this had a bad effect on my play. I'd decided that I wasn't handling the choices in For Sale quite right, that I'd been underbidding, and not properly considering the situation that would be left for the other two players once I dropped out. Today I was really rushing, and not figuring how to correct for that.

Once again I wound up with more cash left over ($5 K) than either Rick or Ben ($1 K each). Predictably, the properties I had were weaker as well.

I did a little better in the blind selling at the end than I had previous, but I was working with too much of a disadvantage. Rick slightly outsold Ben to come away with the win.

Rick 76
Ben 71
Chuck 51

Later on, after our game of Around the World in 80 Days, Rick had to leave, and Ben only had a few more minutes. I suggested that there was enough time to teach For Sale to Ed and to Kelly, and Ben agreed to stay.

Four players is a very different situation than with three! Much more interesting, in my opinion. You can't think through the situation you're leaving through the next person quite as exactly.

Our first lot had the "30" property in it, and it presented a classic moral hazard situation where we all had plenty of incentive to bid high for it. Uncharacteristically I wound up winning the auction, spending half of my cash in the process.

I felt I was in pretty good shape in this game, I had slightly the most cash at the end ($2K) but didn't think I had the weakest properties. All of us were very low in cash toward the end, and Ben used that fact to control the last couple of auctions.

I enjoy For Sale a lot because it's so easy to play. It is very elegant, but I do feel something of a lack of control of the outcome. So much of it, especially in the second stage, really is guesswork.

Ben once again outplayed me as well as the two newcomers, and came away with the win.

Ben 64
Chuck 55
Kelly 52
Ed 48

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.