Subject: New Orleans to Minneapolis - has anyone claimed this bonus? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've seen the card turn up in about 75% of our games so far, but no-one has ever got close to claiming the points. Although it seems that good routes can made involving New Orleans and Atlanta, and the Minneapolis/Chicago corner of the board can also make some viable routes, there are just too many 1-cube grey cities requiring long runs of track to link up these two regions.

Richmond-Atlanta seems ridiculously easy in comparison - I don't think that I've played a game where that HASN'T been built, whether or not the bonus card was available or anticipated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a guy claim it in one of my games (session report is pending). It was way more effort than it was worth it looked like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacques Grenier ou bedon Grognard
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
I had a guy claim it in one of my games (session report is pending). It was way more effort than it was worth it looked like.

Ditto here. It is a lot of effort for only 10 pts, may be at 20 pts...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it can be done, in fact, I claimed it personally in one game. I came in third or forth I think in a field of five players. I doubt anyone can win by setting-out to accomplish New Orleans to Minneapolis... in my case, I had most of the southern portion of it completed for other reasons, so finishing it was easy.

I think that in general, going after New Orleans/Mobile doesn't seem to pay off. I would definitely stick to the East coast and to Chicago/Western Links.

I generally agree with the position that Richmond to Atlanta is very easy. But if enough people realize this, competition for it can be fierce, and someone simply looking like they are going for it a great source of distraction... somthing that is a very important element of Railroad Tycoon, misdirection!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Soma
United States
Pickerington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: New Orleans to Minneapolis - has anyone claimed this bon
We played a four player game where my son scored the NO/Minn route. One of the players tried to get the NY/KC route for 20 points. Two of us spent an additional hour trying to prevent this. We came very close to running out of tiles. In the meantime, the brat worked his way north to Minneaoplis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gray
United States
Glenwood Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After winning my first two games with the NY/KC major, in my third game I got locked out of the Northeast and concentrated on Chicago. I came within one link of connecting NO/Minn but even if I had done it I still would have finished last. It was big fun locking up Chicago though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Blume
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sounds like a young man who knows how to respond to a situation :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yep, and I won with it, too.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/89467

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marky Mark
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a five player game where one guy did this link and came in second, only 1 point back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to see someone complete it. I have seen someone try, and it destroyed his finances. He came in last place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see it in connected in about half the games where the card comes out early enough.

Last time, one of the middle-of-the-board links was 10 hexes long (builder had perfect engineering).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen it done, and not it wasn't a poor move.

I like the bounty of 10 points on the NO-MN route. I'd like to drop the Richmond-Atlanta route by a VP or two. I think that it is too easy for the payoff, especially if it comes out early. While the argument that "every experianced player knows it is easy" is valid, there are too few links out of Charletown to attract many players down there. A third link out of Charlestown would help make the area more competitive.

-Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TrimChris wrote:
Last time, one of the middle-of-the-board links was 10 hexes long (builder had perfect engineering).

Unless he had 2x Perfect Engineering, that's not legal. You can only use PE once per GAME TURN, which means 3 rounds.

Another way this 10-hex link could be accomplished legally is using 3 actions to build it... but that would not require PE, and your post implies that it was done in 2 actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In nearly 20 games, I have yet to see this one done. I throw that out at the beginning of each game as a challenge. My opponents must notice that I never try for it myself...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had this claimed twice. Last game, I had made a line from New Orleans to Atlanta to Chicago. That card popped, up, so it was easy to follow through for the points.

One person in our group claimed the new york to western link route, but took out way too many shares to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did in my very first game, which I won. I haven't won again since, in three more plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've completed the New Orleans to Minneapolis run once and nearly completed it two other times in five games of Railroad Tycoon I've played.

I was nearly last in all of those games.

The first time I accomplished it I was catapulted into equal footing with the other players but then fell behind again as my cities had dried up by that time.

In the most recent game when I attempted it I was one link short of completion when enough cities emptied to end the game. I was mostly going after it for the moral victory since I ended the game with 17 shares and a total of 1 victory point...and this after emphasizing during my rules explanation to our 3 new players that you should not take out too much stock during the game.

My opponents kept asking if I had misread my bonus card and thought it said 'have the most shares', instead the 'least'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I did it this weekend. I had the secret goal for longest consecutive track, so these 2 goals seemed to go hand in hand. I took out more shares then I normally would, but ended up in second, almost first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Turniansky
United States
Lake Worth
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
In the last game of RRT I played (4 player), someone did it. Unfortunately, not me (He came in second to me, but not by much).

However, the card came out in the initial draw, and it took him until the final turn to do it (and the only reason he made it was that the rest of us had basically forgotten about the card by then!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.