Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephane Nolet
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope it will live up to its big name!

Here is something I've been workin on lately: a system to play a Doom The Boardgame level that is "randomly" created. It uses pre-designed templates that are assembled as the game progress. There is some limitations you have to keep in mind when you design something like this. I know some persons would prefer a completely random thing, a "pure random" system, with random doors leading to random rooms containing random equipment and Invader but I think this conception is quite impossible to achieve for the following reasons:

1-Space limitation: your "pure random" level would rapidly grow out of the playing surface (table).
2-Component limitation and assembly: in each box of Doom, there is a certain number of rooms and corridors and that's it. A "pure random" system will cause several headaches over wich one to use and how to assemble it without blocking future Areas, or stacking over previous Areas, etc.
3-Time factor: if you roll too many dices to determine wich room, wich equipment, wich Invaders, etc. are in the next Area, the game will take an eternity.

So, having those things in mind, I choose the templates way. But don't worry: as you will see, there is enough cominations to play "a few" games without having to play the same level twice. Believe me.

Here is the link to my site. Click on the Doom Logo and find the Random Level Generation System link to access the file. Have fun with it. Feel free to comment.

http://pages.infinit.net/lone/nsv.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good and simple. I'll try it.

I like the way every level makes you run past the yellow door (holding the red key) to get the blue key to open the blue door holding the yellow key, forcing a large part of the small map to be passed through (or held by separate marines) multiple times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Nolet
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you like it. I'm working on a cooperative system for Doom that will be compatible with the Level Generation System. Players will control their Marine and will manage a certain number of Invaders whose behaviors on the map will be pre-established, depending on the "personality" of each. Should be ready soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Riordan
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it a lot.

It inspires me to construct a high quality version.
Here is a sample of what I mean:
(edit: warning, 300kb image)
http://members.cox.net/shawnriordan/Area1page1.jpg

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Nolet
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool, Shawn. What have you used to do that? Is it Mike Zebrowski's scenario editor? If you tell me what you use I will probably update the whole thing with these much better graphics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Riordan
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was made using the TileSystem editor.
I will send you a personal message describing how to install it so that this thread does not get polluted with off-topic stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Biesik
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
CRasterImage wrote:
It was made using the TileSystem editor.
I will send you a personal message describing how to install it so that this thread does not get polluted with off-topic stuff.

Hi im wondering if you could send me info on that system as well. thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Vigil
United States
Waynesboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a pretty neat level generation system!

Earlier today, I was thinking about something along similar lines... but a little different.

I was thinking... What if you could build your map before you start the game and randomly populate the map during game play in a structured way? This would allow you to build the map once, and re-use the exact same layout several times with very different results.

What I had in mind was to create pre-defined modular tile sets (used as areas) along with a set of cards for each area to provide a semi-random means of populating an areas on the fly as they are discovered. Each card would show/describe a different set up for a given area. When you discover a new area, you draw a card from the module's deck and populate the map as required.

I'd love to hear what others think about this possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
After caning the official maps we pulled this out the other day and it works an absolute treat - thanks muchly!

The end of our last mission was brilliant, the invader used an aimed attack on a hell knight (?) to fling (knock-back) a zombie into range of my marine who in turn ripped my marine apart - just one turn before I could escape through the red door - scoring his 6th frag and winning the game.

I did also get stuck on one map in the starting area and fragged 6 times by the zombie waiting there, who trapped me, killed me, and kept calling his mates in to block the door off whilst I was re-spawning. But it was pretty funny.

Great work!!

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.