Subject: A few simple strategies for HP rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Albert
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
After playing Hunting Party about 10-15 times I thought I would add what little wisdom I have gathered from playing the game so far. Some of these may be obvious if you have played the game a few times already, but hopefully some of it is useful.

1. First turn: I think going to the market on the first turn is usually the way to go. This allows you to pick up some really good items that you can hold onto until the opportune time. Also, since you can bid on hunters during other people's turns, you might as well let them use their turn to initiate hiring. The only thing you lose is the ability to bid first. Plus, if a hunter happens to come up that you just bought the item for you can pick them up and make them a champion (I realize this is a small probability but it does happen).

2. Go hiring when your opponents are low in shares. Even if you really don't think you need another hunter but you have 4 shares and each opponent has 2-3 shares left you can pick up a great fit for your party for just 1-2 shares usually. If your opponents are conservative they will not go down to 1 share left on their hero and almost no player will give up all his/her shares.

3. Never bid more than you have to. When bidding on a hunter look at what all the other players have. If they have all the same skills already they probably won't be interested. If they will have to pay additional shares for hate to get this hunter take that into account as well. The rule of thumb is to never bid 4 or more for any hunter unless; A. you can immediately reduce their shares to 3 or less, B. you MUST stop the other player from getting them (i.e. if they get this hunter they WILL win the game) or C. you already have 2 hunters and you have 5-6 shares left.

4. Antagonize your opponents as frequently as possible. This holds true for most games where you can affect other players. The more you do to them the harder it will be for them to stick with their strategy. Steal their items and gold, fatigue their hunters, anything to disrupt their game plan is good.

5. Remember that you don't have to take everyone along when you hunt. It takes people a couple of games to remember this one. If a hunter in your party is not contributing anything to the hunt (they have a skill that is duplicated by another hunter or they go to the Catacombs but you are going to the Palace) then leave them behind so they cannot be killed. Conversly, if you are trying to kill a hunter to save the money of disbanding them, then go on a hunt with only that hunter and your Hero. If you manage to win at least you get some gold which you can use to disband the useless member.

6. Mix up your hunts. This one is tricky, but after playing some you will learn how to declare hunts that confuse your opponents rather than give them free information. Basically you don't want to "telegraph" what you are looking for by changing just one skill from hunt to hunt (i.e. Catacombs, Melee, Tracks and Catacombs, Melee, Bait). It will be obvious that you are looking for the Seeking skill. Although this is a good way to determine the prophesy you are also making what you know transparent to others.

7. Near the end of the game when you are only missing one skill to get to the Shadow remember this: it's much easier to find the item that gives you that skill than it is to hire someone with it. Think of it this way, pretend you need one more Range. You could keep trying to hire people from the Forest but you have to compete with the other players in bidding and if they know you need Range they are not likely to let you get it easily. This could cause you to overbid and then not even have enough shares to win once you fight the Shadow. Instead, if the item you are seeking isn't already in play go to the market. Since you get to look at 3 cards per turn you have almost as good of chance as when hiring to find the missing skill and no one can stop you from buying an item. This decision is a no brainer if you have someone that can look at items in the market or replace them somehow.

8. This last one works for almost every game: pay close attention to what other players do. Remember, this is not solitaire. You can't just focus on what you are doing and hope to win. Obviously pay close attention to the prophesy. Other things to watch for is if someone is going to the market or hiring from the same location several turns in a row then they are probably looking for a particular hunter/item that they are missing in order to win the game. Sometimes there isn't much you can do to stop them but if you catch it early enough you can at least try. Second, if someone writes something down after a hunt and then the next turn disbands a hunter or purposely kills one, look at that hunter's skills, it may tell you the missing part of the prophesy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Whitfield
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add one strategy hint that may be overlooked. When you have the prophecy figured out and are going to kill the shadow disband any characters you dont need. This is a one gold for five gold trade off. Also dont forget you can disband at any time even when bidding so you can disband and bid more than your opponent may expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.