Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only just noticed. I have kept the counter sheets from all my games. The pieces have all been popped and carefully bagged up, but I still have the remaining surround of the counter/tile sheets.

To start with, I'd tuck them away at the bottom of the appropriate game box. This worked fine until I bought my first game which wouldn't fit them back in with the insert too. So I took the sheet remains and put them into a separate container box. For consistency, I went back to the other games and took their empty sheets and stored them all together in the same container box.

I now have 2 container boxes FULL of popped counter sheets.

WHY AM I KEEPING THEM?????

I guess to start with, I was worried about losing any parts of the game to stop it being complete, but now it's getting a bit silly - I've even kept the empty plastic sprues from TI3.

Only now I've been doing it so long and have so many, they really take up a load of storage space that I really don't have. Unfortunately, it's going to be hard to get rid of them after carefully storing them for so long.

PLEASE HELP PERSUADE ME TO GET RID OF THEM!

(or at least provide a really good reason why I need to keep them - do you think including them would affect resell value?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Counter trees can be useful for verifying the contents of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I re-cycle all my cardboard counter sheets... the local "re-cycling center" (re-branded landfil site) has a large container for cardboard. You'd be doing your bit for the environment AND freeing up a lot of space in your place of habitation.

I doubt very much whether the eBay value will be increased sufficently by keeping them... although there are some strange people out there.. someone bought a tub of genuine Glastonbury mud once!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A local gamer likes the sheets because she teaches elementary school students and she brings them in to school for arts and crafts. This has really helped me let go of all of my counter sheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parkin
United Kingdom
Wakefield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
In the old days the tops and bottoms of the surround used to be the same depth as the counters so I kept them to make replacements for lost pieces. Alas they're much more frugal these days. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snooze_uk wrote:
PLEASE HELP PERSUADE ME TO GET RID OF THEM!

Create a box (without top) gluing countersheets together (you may have to cut them first into smaller pieces). Attach a candle in the middle of the box. It makes for a nice present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I am with you on this one. I sometimes keep 'sprues', which I believe is the name for the popped counter sheets. I sometimes keep them for:

- Spacer in the bottom of the box so that the lid is positioned properly so pieces do not get shaken around

- Templates for making the circular pieces if needed

- If they have the right background color for replacement pieces I might keep the more solid areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean T
United States
Tucson
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recycle them! Fight waste and clutter! goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would write to the game manufacturer and complain....

The games should be delivered in a 100% manufactured state.
If I bought a radio and had to assemble the printed ciruit-board I would be really p*ss*d-off.

I don't have to assemble Monopoly!!!! - so let's stop buying games until they do this properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toss, toss, toss! Keeping them for a lame reason such as "so I can verify completeness" or "it makes it more desireable for resale" is terrible. Just throw the cardboard into recycling, and say bye-bye plastic sprues. A lot of people have pack-rat tendencies, but the time comes when enough is enough!

It's kind of like hanging onto cassette tapes, or 5-1/4" floppies, just because you've made an investment in them (and for no other reason - especially when you don't have a tape player or drive anymore!)... time to let go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.