Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm Martin Lucifer Griffiths and I endorse this message!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
I'm interested but worry that it will end up a little complex to track and apply the rules. Particularly with something like Cog, Charm and Poison as I've already spotted takes a few iterations to work out.

Perhaps this is another similarity to Innovation in that some things take some thought to see how they would play out. This opacity is something I dislike in abstracts but then abstracts don't normally try and use lots of special powers.

I'm not sure this will excite me more than RRR, Cheaoss and Kings Plate: Classic but I'm willing to give it a try to find out. Either way a successful well distributed game in this area will lift all of these games so I wish it lots of success!

(Does Fealty have an Android app?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really not that complicated. Will show it to you soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jugular wrote:
I'm interested but worry that it will end up a little complex to track and apply the rules. Particularly with something like Cog, Charm and Poison as I've already spotted takes a few iterations to work out.

Perhaps this is another similarity to Innovation in that some things take some thought to see how they would play out. This opacity is something I dislike in abstracts but then abstracts don't normally try and use lots of special powers.

I'm not sure this will excite me more than RRR, Cheaoss and Kings Plate: Classic but I'm willing to give it a try to find out. Either way a successful well distributed game in this area will lift all of these games so I wish it lots of success!

(Does Fealty have an Android app?)

All the Red and Yellow tiles are execute-on-play, which means you can ignore their text once on the table. Blue tiles occur at end of game, only Purple tiles have continuous effects. Knowing that, it's much easier to read the board.

Sadly, no Android version of Fealty -- it just didn't make economic sense to make yet. Possibly in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jugular wrote:
I'm interested but worry that it will end up a little complex to track and apply the rules.

That's certainly how I found Suburbia. But looking at the powers of the Equinox tiles, I think that the "always in effect" tiles aren't so prevalent - or difficult to apply - that it'll be a problem, and the "one-shot use" powers don't need to be traced. And besides, we played Innovation with the second expansion, 5-player, last night; compared to that, Equinox is going to be easy. But then, DIY brain surgery isn't as complicated or as tricky as Innovation with the expansions.

I confess that when I started reading the review, my first thought was "why can't is be a three-player game (partly because games based on hexagons are often very good with three, and mostly because I don't play 2-player games). My second thought was "where do I sign up?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately hexagons only have two surfaces
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Boomer
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
If and when we make a smartphone app out of this, I suppose it may be possible to modify it for more players (you know, since we're no longer bound by such things as "geometry.") It's not something I've discussed with Chris or even thought about until just now, but it could be an interesting variant.
Might make some tiles a bit hard to adjudicate, notably DISEASE and BETRAYAL become a lot more ambiguous. With red-action flips we can simply stipulate that the player gets to choose what color to flip them to. Either that or have a standard rotation such that white flips to black flips to octarine flips to white. Well anyway, I don't want to get everyone's hopes up because who knows, just saying it might be a possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
OK, decide who goes first.

The second player now decides which colour they will play, black or white, based on looking at the initial pool of tiles

All tiles are doublesided black and white but the action/icon is the same. Don't worry, it will all make sense!

It still doesn't make sense to me. When the action on both sides is always the same - where is the difference in the colors that make the choice of color meaningful?

Quote:

1) the opening pool of 5 tiles does NOT get a VP bead on each tile (we actually didn't play this so I don't know why I added that to the review!). The start player advantage is offset by the other player getting to choose his colour (some tiles in the bag specifically refer to black or white, and the ones that flip can be advantageous to plan how you think it will end up at the end, and thus choose your colour accordingly.

Can you give an example please showing differences in the colors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Boomer
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer

For example, Day, Night, Candle, and Shadow in this image are color-specific.

Personally, if I am choosing color and I see one of those tiles in the starting pool I will opt for the other color, on the expectation that its opposite will come out at a more convenient time. If I don't see any color-specific tiles I will usually pick black for no reason other than habit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - now it makes more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
I thought about writeing-up a brief little review for this game today. There really isn't any point though, this review says pretty much everything I might want to, but more thoroughly and more entertainingly than I probably would have.

It is really a fine review. I appreciate that you began with how the game play experience feels before actually going into the rules. And when you did get to the rules, you kept the summary to a minimum. Your follow-up comments after the initial post were also well handeled.

Your play experience with Equinox seems consistant with my own. I too find this to be a "wonderful little game".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think perhaps my eyes may be broken...but where did this review go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:

The user's account was deleted, and with it went all his content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
JohnnyR wrote:

The user's account was deleted, and with it went all his content.

Ah, ok, thank you. Shame. I would have liked to have seen some impressions on this one.

Thank you!

Edit: Somehow I missed Ryan Metzler's excellent video review. Thanks Ryan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.