BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: any author still publish choose your own path rpg books? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
the king
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
In the late 80s, a guy named Joe Denver started publishing a choose your own path book series called lone wolf followed by a series called grey star. They were much like a single player game. At the beginning of the book weres rule for combat, weapons and specials abilities to choose from and other items. In the book, your used your weapons to battle and used the special abilities on your quest. I really enjoyed these books as a young adult. I am hoping an author still publishes these kinds of books and hopefully a more complex and mature version of this kinda book. Anyone know of any?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I believe the publisher "I Books" recently (2003-ish) started re-publishing the classic "Fighting Fantasy" series of books (Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone having released the original "The Warlock of Firetop Mountain" in 1982, and 58 other books in the line followed (plus the 4-book 'Sorcery!' set).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my gosh, my best friend just came accross his Lone Wolf books the other day when he was cleaning out some old junk and asked me if I wanted them. I hadn't thought about those in years! We had the first 15-20 books in the original Lone Wolf set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I am hoping an author still publishes these kinds of books and hopefully a more complex and mature version of this kinda book. Anyone know of any?

More complex and mature? I guess that depends on your version of 'mature'... Fighting Fantasy, Grailquest, and Lone Wolf were the series that I grew up with (I assume aimed at yound adults). GURPS-style adventures as well (Conan, Car Wars) - but that's a little more work as you need to be familiar with the main game (usually needing the GURPS sourcebook, etc.) TSR made one called "Top Secret SI: The final bug" as well. I recently found it at a thrift shop, and assume that if I found one, there's probably more. I also picked up "Gumshoe" the other day (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/3365) which may fill that void, too.

I still have about 30 Fighting Fantasy and a half dozen Lone Wolf books, and have never come across any 'updates' to them. Maybe calling your local RPG shop might help. For complexity, I think you hit the peak you're going to without getting yourself a GM and a good RPG system. There's only so much you can do, and only so many decisions you can make, with just you and a book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the old Fighting Fantasy and Sorcery books, and if you are looking for something really good in the book-RPG dept and these are being reprinted as Mark says above, DEFINITELY get those!! The Sorcery series is the best and the most complex, but there are a number of goodies in the regular Fighting Fantasy line too - City of Thieves is a particular favorite of mine.

If they aren't being reprinted, you might try ebay, at least for the Sorcery series, they really are THAT good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to love the Lone Wolf books, fantasy book and game together, two of my favorite things! The author's name is Joe Dever, and he sometimes wrote with another guy named Gary Chalk. I believe they were British, but I could be wrong. The USA editions of the books had great cover art as well, many of them paintings by Richard Corben. I read a lot of these type of books, and I think the Lone Wolf series was the best of the bunch by far. I also wish that a more complex/mature version of this type of game would be published today, but I don't know of any. The idea I believe still works.

There was an RPG system published based on the Lone Wolf books, but I have no idea of its success or quality level. Thanks for bringing back fond memories with this thread!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
!
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can read/play most of the Lone Wolf books free on the internet now at www.projectaon.org.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Coeur D'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved that series in Junior High and when I got into college I went on ebay and half.com to finish my collection of US published books (which I still have). There were more books published in Europe than here in the US (and with the later US books, more complete versions were published in Europe). The website http://www.projectaon.org/ is working on (with the author's permission) getting all of the books onto the web, which is awesome! Check them out, they have a really nice interface for playing the game and they have a number of the source books (including the Magnamund Companion).

I have the new RPG that Mongoose Publishing put out, which really is pretty good (based on the D20 system). I'm just the only one of my friends who even knows about Lone Wolf and that series and cares enough to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
watcher_b wrote:
I have the new RPG that Mongoose Publishing put out, which really is pretty good (based on the D20 system). I'm just the only one of my friends who even knows about Lone Wolf and that series and cares enough to play it.

It seems this topic has struck a cord with more than a few of us that remember this series fondly. I wonder how old most of us are? I'm 29, and remember discovering the Lone Wolf books at a Waldenbooks in a mall near my very small hometown. After that, I remember dragging my poor mother around to other bookstores all over the place to find more books in the series. Thanks for the link to the web site, yet another way to waste my time at work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the king
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
are these reprints found a local book stores like barnes and noble? Thanks for your help guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stubbs
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not adverse to PDFs, you might want to look at this:

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=1676&

I own it already and its pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
ICE also did 6 books of this type based in Middle-earth. As well as including rules in the book for character generation etc you could also use the full MERP RPG system for your characters and combat. I suspect they would count as more 'mature' - however ICE no longer have the Tolkein licence so you will be looking on ebay for these. They went under the series title of 'Middle-earth Quest' or 'Tolkein Quest'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an active Yahoo Group for these books:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gamebooks/

As well, there is a great resource site with more information on these types of books than you ever thought existed:

http://www.gamebooks.org/

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
drakken wrote:
In the late 80s, a guy named Joe Denver started publishing a choose your own path book series called lone wolf followed by a series called grey star. They were much like a single player game. At the beginning of the book weres rule for combat, weapons and specials abilities to choose from and other items. In the book, your used your weapons to battle and used the special abilities on your quest. I really enjoyed these books as a young adult. I am hoping an author still publishes these kinds of books and hopefully a more complex and mature version of this kinda book. Anyone know of any?

NO reason to leave out the SHERLOCK HOLMES series along these lines...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Wellycon XI - Back 5th June 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
SF author Kim Newman published a book about 1997 called "Life's Lottery" which was effectively a choose-your-own adventure as a modern novel. The first choice was in the playground as to which Man From UNCLE you thought was coolest. There's plenty of excitment on the way, though not many happy endings...no game system though.

The best choose-your-owns with a game system are probably the RPG based ones. Tunnels and Trolls solos were reprinted in the late 80's with the rules in the front, and the rules are about as complex as Fighting Fantasy or Joe Dever's Kai series.

Chaosium took the mantle of king of the RPG solo with their Runequest solos (especially Snow Queen's Bride) and the two solos for Call of Cthulhu (especially Alone against the Ice). Unfortunately, you'll need the RQ or CoC rulebooks to play these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There were also some Asterix books along these lines. Although, they probably don't win the maturity stakes.

My primary school had a bookshop on the premises every Wednesday and there was a whole bookcase full of these sort of books. I didn't buy them that much though. I am 23, I guess the bookshop was 1992-5 sort of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parkin
United Kingdom
Wakefield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I sort books in a charity (thrift) shop and we get these kind of books turning up fairly regularly, I'm sure the same is true in the states. If you ask your local shops they might keep an eye out for them.

Alternatively www.bookfinder.com is a very good source for old books. Try typing Steve Jackson in as the author and searching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
oldmanrivah wrote:

NO reason to leave out the SHERLOCK HOLMES series along these lines...

Wow, that brings back some great memories. I *loved* the "Sherlock Holmes Solo Mysteries" series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Harmer-Barnes
United Kingdom
Rainham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several gamebooks, which are either released or abandoned by their copyright owners at www.the-underdogs.org, including the Marvel, Middle-Earth, 2000AD and Sherlock Holmes series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Harmer-Barnes
United Kingdom
Rainham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several gamebooks, which are either released or abandoned by their copyright owners at www.the-underdogs.org, including the Marvel, Middle-Earth, 2000AD and Sherlock Holmes series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.